love

Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 59803 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »
7100 ft.?! :o

ses, you really are up in the mountains! I'm only at a paltry 4,500. :) That Instant Pot looks great! I'm looking for a pressure cooker, so I can cook beans faster, but am not sure I need all those bells and whistles. Please let me know how you like it.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
℞ecipe 911

Cheesy Chicken Farro Enchilada Bake

I consider myself a renegade kind of chef. If I were in the oil business, I'd be known as a wildcatter. My culinary tact is driven by instinct, and as such, I very rarely look at a recipe. And this is much to the chagrin of my wife, because I love to buy cookbooks, which gather dust in my cookbook cabinet. Last Saturday after I finished hiking, I called her and asked her to look for recipes which used Farro as the main ingredient. She's been buying salads with this ancient grain, and she likes it a lot, and has been asking me to explore uses for it. It was about a 10 minute trip to the market from the trailhead, and in that time, she found a recipe. As I entered the market, she told me the ingredients and how it was cooked, over the phone. I saw potential, and almost instantly started restructuring the recipe and adding a few more essentials. This is my version, re-structured and re-imagined, what follows is a link to the original recipe...https://thelemonbowl.com/cheesy-chicken-enchilada-farro-ba…/

1 Rotisserie Chicken (boned & separated, shredding meat into small pieces)
1 cup Farro
2 cups Shredded Cheese (1 lb. Sharp Cheddar & 1 lb. Bold Havarti)
2 cups Homemade Ranchera or Enchilada sauce
3 cups Chicken Broth (Made from Chicken carcass)
1 - 14 oz. can Black Beans (Drained & Rinsed)
1 - 9 oz. package Frozen Corn (Cooked by directions on box)
1 - 4.5 oz. can Green Chiles (Drained)
1 - Poblano Pepper (Diced)
1 - Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
1 - Red Onion (Diced)
2 TBSP. Bacon Fat
1 TBSP. Smoked Paprika
½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
½ tsp. Chipotle Sauce
½ tsp. Cholula Poblano Sauce
1 bunch Scallions (Chopped for garnish)

Take Chicken bones and skin and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for one hour. Remove cover and reduce down to 3 cups.

Cook Farro in Chicken Broth on a low simmer, covered for 35 minutes. If there’s any liquid still in pan, cook for an additional 5 minutes uncovered. Let cool.

Bring Bacon Fat up to heat in a cast iron skillet and cook Onions, Red Pepper & Poblanos until softened and slightly browned. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 375°

Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, minus the Cheese & Scallions. Spread evenly into a slightly greased 13 x 9 bake pan. Cover with Parchment Paper and Aluminum Foil. Cook in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover, spread Cheese on top and place back in oven for another 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and let settle for 5 minutes.

Serve topped with Scallions and Cholula Jalapeno & Poblano Sauce.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #372 on: March 29, 2019, 04:23:05 PM »
Meat Loaf:

4 lbs. Ground Beef
2 large Onions (Diced)
4 Eggs
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
¼ cup Bacon Fat
¼ cup Chili Sauce
2 TBSP. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Colman’s Dry Mustard Powder
1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 tsp. Dried Marjoram
1 tsp. Dried Rosemary
½ tsp. Ground Sage
Fresh Bread Crumbs (Roughly ¾ ‘s of a loaf)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring Bacon Fat up to heat in a sauté pan, add Onions and cover. Lower heat so the Onions sweat for 20 minutes, stirring Onions every 5 minutes. Let cool.

Place Thyme, Rosemary & Marjoram in a Mortar and using the Pestle, pulverize into powder.

In a large mixing bowl, add all remaining ingredients, plus Onions, minus the Bread Crumbs, and mix well. Once mixture is well incorporated, start adding Bread crumbs until mixture has bound together and is slightly tacky in texture. Evenly divide mixture between two loaf pans. Cover each pan with Parchment Paper, then Aluminum Foil. Let sit for 1 hour.

Pre-heat oven to 350°

Cook in oven for 45 minutes. Remove Foil and Parchment Paper and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes to allow settling and congealing.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »
Shepherd’s Pie:

4 lbs. Ground Beef
5 lbs. White Potatoes
2 sticks Butter
Half & Half
1lb. package frozen Corn
1lb. package frozen Peas
2 large Onions (Diced)
3 TBSP. Flour
2 TBSP. Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master
1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Dried Marjoram
Salt & Pepper for Potatoes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take 3 TBSP. of the Butter and sauté Onions until just browning. Add Ground Beef and cook until browned. Add the 1 tsp. of Black Pepper & Marjoram, plus the 2 TBSP. Kitchen Bouquet. Incorporate thoroughly, and then add Flour to bind. Transfer to large casserole pan.

Spread Peas & Corn over the top of the meat mixture.
Boil Potatoes, drain and whip with remaining Butter, Half & Half and Salt & Pepper.

Spread evenly over vegetables. Cover with Parchment Paper and gently press down on Potatoes to compress the mixture. Cover with Aluminum foil.

Pre-heat oven to 350°

Cook for 30 minutes, and then remove foil and parchment paper and cook for another 10 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #374 on: June 24, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
Pan Fried Lemon, Garlic & Herb Chicken Thighs

4 Chicken Thighs
4 Lemon slices (quartered and muddled)
4 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
1 TBSP. Fresh Oregano (minced)
1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme (minced)
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
1/2 cup White Wine
1 TBSP. Butter
2 TBSP. Avocado Oil

Lightly season the Chicken Thighs with Salt, Pepper and just a light dusting of Smoked Paprika. Set aside for 30 minutes, to allow Chicken to come up a bit in temperature. Heat Avocado Oil to just below its scorching point in a cast iron skillet and place Chicken Thighs skin side down. Cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat. If they’re big thighs, go the 10 minutes, if they’re medium size, 8 minutes should be fine. Flip them over and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove thighs from pan and set aside on a small plate.

Add Garlic and Lemon to skillet and cook for just about a minute. Add Herbs and cook for another minute. Add wine and cook one minute more. Place Chicken Thighs back in the skillet, skin side up and cover. Cook for 10 minutes at low heat. Remove cover and flip the Thighs over again on their skin side, cook an additional 5 minutes over medium heat, so the sauce can reduce and congeal.

Place Chicken Thighs on a plate, skin side up, and pour the sauce over the top.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #375 on: June 24, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
Looks and sounds good!

I've become very lazy with my shepherd's pie, using instant mashed potatoes, thickening them up a little with some shredded cheddar. It hasn't seemed to make a big difference, it's still one of my wife's favorites.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
The chicken looks like it will be on the menu next week

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
Normally I'm not keen on buying fish at the supermarket, but today being Ash Wednesday, one of them had Haddock on sale for $4.99/lb. Best fish I've ever purchased in a supermarket. But what really made it great was my Ritz Cracker Crumb Topping and I thought I'd share it with all of you. This recipe is one of my earliest conceived recipes. Back in 1981 I had taken a line cook job at an Irish Pub that was extremely popular in the city where I grew up. They were known for their ridiculously large sandwiches and cheese steaks. The owner decided to expand the size of the kitchen to offer cooked fare besides the sandwiches. Unfortunately, his kitchen staff was comprised of young kids with no culinary experience. The new menu items weren't selling well, and that was why I was hired. One of the most popular dishes in New England is Baked Cod/Haddock, but most places really don't do much with it. They crush up some Ritz Crackers, sprinkle it on the fish, add Salt & Pepper and drown it in Butter. This place was no different. I decided to change that. They weren't even selling 20 pounds of fish in a week. Found a brand new food processor, still in its box and created the following recipe. Within 3 months, we went from selling less than 20 pounds to more than 100 pounds in a week. We became known for the dish, and on Fridays we'd go through 50 pounds in a day. I left the pub after a year and a half, and sadly, they went back to the old way they were doing it before I got there, even though I left them the recipe.

Ritz Cracker Crumb topping for Fish

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  •   1         16 oz. box  Ritz crackers
      3        tablespoons  paprika, Hungarian
      1         tablespoon  onion powder
      1           teaspoon  onion powder
      1         tablespoon  garlic powder
      1         tablespoon  salt
      1           teaspoon  basil
      1           teaspoon  thyme
      1           teaspoon  ground coriander
     1/2          teaspoon  black pepper
     1/2          teaspoon  white pepper
     1/2          teaspoon  cayenne pepper
     1/2          teaspoon  ground bay leaf

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and run for 2 minutes, until crackers are a fine grain.

Coat both sides of the fish with the crumbs, (think Shake & Bake) and set on Parchment Paper on a baking sheet. Drizzle melted Butter over the top, being generous, but don't drown it. Cook for 24 - 28 minutes in a 350° oven. The Paprika will give the fish a slightly orange golden brown color, and because you coated both top and bottom, will retain the fish's moisture.

Any leftover crumbs, and there will be some, can be kept in a container in the freezer for future meals. As long as you keep it in the freezer, they will not spoil, even if you use the container to shake and coat the fish. Just try and not let the fish touch the sides of the container. I swirl the container then flip the fish and repeat swirling until the piece is completely coated.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
I copied the recipe, Antares. Thanks!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #379 on: February 28, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
Me too. Sounds stellar.

On an unrelated topic. I don't really have a recipe, but Bobotie is my new go-to dish for those times I have a bunch of ground beef and don't know what I should do with it. There seems to be a lot of variations of this dish. I dunno. I had it with meat and eggs and onions and curry and chutney, topped with banana slices before baking. Last time I made it I added a can of coconut milk to the custard component instead of regular milk. Delish. Bananas don't seem to be the standard but I'm all about it. :)