Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 59791 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Is the onion powder right? It’s on twice in different amounts.
Texan Down Under

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #381 on: February 29, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
Is the onion powder right? It’s on twice in different amounts.

It's right, I wrote the recipe on Mastercook and you have to do it that way if it's more than a normal measure. So for this recipe, it's 1 TBSP and 1 tsp.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
Thanks, that's clearer to me now. Gonna try it.
Texan Down Under

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
Minestrone

¼ cup Grapeseed Oil
3 qts. Chicken Broth
3 qts. Beef Broth
1 – 28oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
1 – 6oz. can Tomato Paste
2 lbs. Onions (chopped)
2 lbs. Carrots (diced)
1 lb. Celery (diced)
6-8 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 lb. Peas
1lb. bag frozen chopped Spinach
¾ lb. Stew Beef (½ inch cuts)
½ lb. Chicken Meat (½ inch cuts)
½ lb. cooked Hot Italian Sausage (¼  inch slices)
1 – 15.5oz. can Cannelloni Beans (drained)
1 – 15.5oz. can Kidney Beans (drained)
1 – 15.5oz. can Chick Peas (drained)
¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
¼ cup chopped Fresh Basil
1 tsp. Oregano
6 Bay Leafs
2 tsp. fresh ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Salt
6oz. Elbow Pasta (dry)

Heat oil in sauce pot and cook Onions, Garlic & Stew Beef until Beef is browned and Onions & Garlic are soft and golden in color. Add Carrots, Celery and both Broths and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 20 minutes, and then add Spinach, Tomato Paste, Crushed Tomatoes, Basil, Bay Leafs & Oregano. Bring back to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add Peas, Italian Sausage, Chicken, Salt, Black Pepper, Canneloni, Kidney Beans & Chick Peas. Bring heat down to a very low simmer and cook for another 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Parmesan Cheese and Elbows and cook for another 45 minutes.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #384 on: September 24, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
Chili con Carne

2 TBSP. Peanut Oil
1 lb. Stew Beef (½" cubed)
1 lb. Boneless Pork Rib Meat (½" cubed)
5 lbs. Ground Beef (80/20)
1 ½ quarts Beef Stock
3 lbs. Onions (chopped)
6 cloves Garlic (crushed)
12 – 15 Poblano Peppers (chopped)
4 Green Peppers (chopped)
4 Red Peppers (chopped)
4 oz. Chili Powder Blend
1 TBSP. Pure Chimayo Chile Powder
1 TBSP. Cumin
1 TBSP. Paprika
1 TBSP. Ground Coriander
1 TBSP. Garlic Powder
1 TBSP. Onion Powder
1 TBSP. Black Pepper
1 TBSP. Salt
2 TBSP. Molasses
2 TBSP. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Oregano
½ tsp. Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves
½ cup Lime based Margarita mix
4 – 28 oz. cans crushed Tomatoes
1 – 6oz. can Tomato Paste
2 – 15.5 oz. cans Black Beans (drained)
2 – 15.5 oz. cans Kidney Beans (drained)
2 – 15.5 oz. cans Pinto Beans (drained)

Heat Peanut Oil in large fry pan and add Pork and Stew Beef. When browned, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to large sauce pot. Add Beef Stock to sauce pot and bring contents to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat. Add Ground Beef to fry pan in the remaining oil and juices and brown evenly. When browned, remove with slotted spoon to sauce pot and keep covered. Cook all these meats in the Beef Stock for at least 30 minutes.

In the fry pan there should be a copious amount of liquid, both oils and juices. Add Onions and Garlic and cook on high heat, stirring every two minutes. When the Onions start to turn translucent, add all the Peppers and keep cooking on high heat, once again, stirring every two minutes. Once the Green Peppers start to soften and fade a bit in color, add all the spices and the Molasses and Brown Sugar. Lower heat to below medium and incorporate all the spices and sweeteners. After 5 minutes, spoon out the vegetable mix into the pot with all the meats. Take Margarita mix and de-glaze the fry pan, scraping as much of the cooked on residue as possible, and add to sauce pot. Add crushed Tomatoes and Tomato Paste and if need be, add enough water to thin it out. You’ll be cooking this mix for at least 3 hours, so it will thicken over that time. Bring the Chili back up to temperature and simmer on low. After the three hours, add the drained Beans. Cook for another 30 minutes and serve with warm Tortillas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:20:33 PM by Antares »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #385 on: September 24, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
Baked Ziti

1 qt. Pomodoro Sauce
1 pint Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1 – 8oz. bag shredded Pizza Cheese Blend
1 – 8oz. bag Italian Cheese blend
1 – 6oz. bag Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 lb. Italian Sausage (Hot or Sweet)
24 dry ounces Ziti pasta (1-1/2 pounds)
Fresh Basil (Rough chopped)
Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350°

Cook Italian Sausage for 30 minutes. Let cool and slice into ½ inch wheels.
Bring enough water to boil to cook the pasta. Cook the Ziti for the lowest time printed on the box. Drain, but DO NOT RINSE the pasta! Let it sit in the colander for 10 minutes, so it starts to stick together a bit.

In a large mixing bowl, take the Ricotta Cheese & Pomodoro Sauce and mix together until completely incorporated. Add Sausage & Ziti and mix until both are evenly coated with sauce mix. Add the two 8oz. bags of cheese, the Basil and mix together. Add some of the Kraft Parmesan Cheese until the mixture starts to bind up a bit.

Lightly grease a 2 ½ inch deep casserole pan and spread the mixture evenly across the pan. Cover with Parchment Paper, then Aluminum Foil and cook in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Remove Parchment Paper and Foil and sprinkle the 6oz. bag of Parmesan Cheese over the top. Cook for another 10 minutes uncovered. After the additional 10 minutes, the Ziti mixture should be bubbling and the Parmesan Cheese should be golden brown. If it is, it’s done. If not, let it go another 5 minutes.

Served with Garlic Bread, this is a little taste of Heaven on a plate.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #386 on: September 24, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »
That’s some good-looking comfort food right there.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #387 on: September 24, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
I thought the Minestrone had a lot of ingredients until I saw that Chili con Carne... I could probably tackle the baked ziti
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #388 on: September 25, 2020, 04:54:07 AM »
That’s some good-looking comfort food right there.

pixote

Last week my wife said to me, "How about making some comfort food today?" I took her a bit too seriously I guess.  ;)

But, my cellar freezer is almost full now.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #389 on: September 25, 2020, 04:56:29 AM »
I thought the Minestrone had a lot of ingredients until I saw that Chili con Carne... I could probably tackle the baked ziti

I've been told that my recipes remind people of a mad scientist with a huge arsenal of potions, elixirs and ingredients.  ;)

But there is unique flavoring options when abundance is mixed in the right proportions.

love