Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 59817 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #390 on: September 25, 2020, 06:41:45 PM »
You're not kidding about being a mad scientist, Antares! That chili recipe is epic! :))

I'll give it a go sometime.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »
Spaghetti Squash with a Pancetta, Prima Vera Pomodoro Sauce

1 large Spaghetti Squash (Cut into 1 inch rings and de-seeded)
6 medium Sweet Frying Peppers (1/2 inch slices)
5 small Onions (1/2 inch slices)
8 oz. Crimini Mushrooms (sliced)
1 medium Zucchini (1/2 inch slices)
1 small Eggplant (1/2 inch slices)
5 cloves Garlic (minced)
2 oz. Pancetta
1 qt. Pomodoro Sauce
3 oz. blend of Parmigiano, Romano & Asiago Cheese (grated)
1/4 cup Chili Sauce
1/2 cup Riesling Wine
Fresh Basil (Chiffonade cut)
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400°

Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper and place Squash rings on top. Brush some Grapeseed Oil over each piece. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip each piece over and cook for an additional 20 minutes. If your Squash is very large, you may have to add another 5 minutes to both cooking times.

In a large saute pan, render the Pancetta until it is golden brown and sits in a pool of rendered fat. Add Onions, Peppers & Garlic and cook over medium heat until softened and slightly browned. Add Mushrooms and Riesling Wine and cook until Mushrooms soften a bit. Add Zucchini, Eggplant, Chili Sauce, Fresh Basil, Salt & Pepper to taste and cook over slightly lower than medium heat until everything is well incorporated and the Basil has wilted a bit.

When the Squash is cooked, let sit on the hot baking sheet for about 10 - 15 minutes. Squash holds heat very efficiently and if you skip this step, you'll burn your fingers. Take a fork and separate the Squash Strings from the skin. Place in a pile on a small plate and add a generous covering of the Cheese Blend. Top with your Pomodoro Sauce mixture and add more of the Cheese.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
Yummy :)

I tend to eat low carb, so this one speaks to me. Also, I've been watching Gordon Ramsey on Masterclass, so now know what a Chiffonade cut is!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »
Chicken with a slightly spiced Sweet Pepper, Ginger Plum Sauce

12 oz. Chicken Breast (sliced very thin)
2 small Onions (chopped)
3 Sweet Frying Peppers (sliced thin)
1 small Zucchini (sliced julienne)
2½ inch piece of fresh Ginger (peeled & minced)
4 cloves Garlic (minced)
2 Red Plums (un-ripened and sliced in quarter inch, quarter moon slices)

Sauce Ingredients:
¼ cup White Grape Juice
¼ cup Chicken Stock
3 TBSP. Asian Plum Sauce
2 TBSP. Asian Sweet Chili Sauce
1½ TBSP. Asian Sweet Vinegar
1 TBSP. White Vinegar
1 TBSP. Asian Rice Wine
1 TBSP. Chili Sauce
½ TBSP. Hoisin Sauce
2 tsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
½ tsp. fresh ground Black Pepper
½ tsp. Nuoc Mam (Asian Fish Sauce)
2 dashes Habanero Sauce
Corn Starch & Water

In a bowl mix all the Sauce Ingredients and set aside.

Heat ¼ cup Peanut Oil in a wok up to the smoking point. Add Chicken, Garlic & Ginger and start stir frying very quickly. You’ve got to keep it moving so the Garlic doesn’t scorch. Once the Chicken is ¾‘s done remove everything from the wok with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. There should still be enough Oil in the wok, so bring it back up to heat. Add Onions and Frying Peppers and cook until slightly browned. Add Zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Add Chicken mixture back into wok and cook for another minute. Add Plums and go another minute. Add Sauce Ingredients and bring up to a boil. Add enough Corn Starch and Water mix to thicken slightly.

Serve with White Rice.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #394 on: December 09, 2020, 10:44:34 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #395 on: December 13, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »
Chili con Carne

I made this tonight and we really enjoyed it. I cut the recipe by like 75% and still had a lot. Do you prepare this in a bathtub, Antares? :))

I added a bit of leftover red wine, and didn't have any coriander. And the meat was a mix of ground beef and salami. But anyways the proportions were about the same, heh. The spice level was just right.

I made some bread using spelt flour and a cup and a half mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds. It was good for cleaning the bowl at the end. :)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztl0gGVFoK0&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2ZlsMxP4-7S3M9Go22DzO1U3A9gZyKxLqlbmmXtK8L_9RhZOoXVMLIgVk

"Meg's gravy is famous. It's practically a food group."

Hate to do this, but two things wrong with this video.

1. While I applaud the fact that he uses rendered Beef Suet, it's an unnecessary step in preparing this gravy. Earlier in the video he skims the fat off the stock he's made. That fat has been infused with the Carrot, Celery & Onion flavors, plus the Oxtail, why not just use that the next day? After he skimmed it, he should have put into his refrigerator and made his Roux with that. I guarantee, that Gravy wouldn't have needed the Gravy Master he adds towards the end had he used the rendered Oxtail Fat.

2. He mentions putting the uncooked Potatoes in cold, heavily salted water. WRONG! (A) Salted water takes much longer to bring up to a boil. You add the Salt once the water starts to begin to boil. (B) Potatoes are like sponges they absorb whatever they are cooked in. Unless you want extremely salty mashed potatoes, never make the water heavily salted.

Chili con Carne

I made this tonight and we really enjoyed it. I cut the recipe by like 75% and still had a lot. Do you prepare this in a bathtub, Antares? :))

I added a bit of leftover red wine, and didn't have any coriander. And the meat was a mix of ground beef and salami. But anyways the proportions were about the same, heh. The spice level was just right.

I made some bread using spelt flour and a cup and a half mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds. It was good for cleaning the bowl at the end. :)

Glad you liked it! You mentioned the spice level, I'm glad you did, because I really hate when people who think they can make great Chili make it spicier than all hell. That's the reason they make it extremely spicy, because the Chili sucks, so they have to mask it. Salami was an interesting choice, I may have to try that sometime. And that Bread sounds delicious.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #397 on: December 14, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
Hate to do this, but two things wrong with this video.

1. While I applaud the fact that he uses rendered Beef Suet, it's an unnecessary step in preparing this gravy. Earlier in the video he skims the fat off the stock he's made. That fat has been infused with the Carrot, Celery & Onion flavors, plus the Oxtail, why not just use that the next day? After he skimmed it, he should have put into his refrigerator and made his Roux with that. I guarantee, that Gravy wouldn't have needed the Gravy Master he adds towards the end had he used the rendered Oxtail Fat.

Right?! As I was watching the video, I wondered why he was throwing away the fat from the stock. In my head (since I'm always looking for ways to simplify) I said, "I'd just use that fat for the gravy." :) Glad to hear you approve. You're the expert!

2. He mentions putting the uncooked Potatoes in cold, heavily salted water. WRONG! (A) Salted water takes much longer to bring up to a boil. You add the Salt once the water starts to begin to boil. (B) Potatoes are like sponges they absorb whatever they are cooked in. Unless you want extremely salty mashed potatoes, never make the water heavily salted.

Good to know! I like your feedback.

Well done on taking on the Chili recipe, smirnoff! I've copied it down, but haven't attempted it yet.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »

Apple & Nut Crunch Cake

Cake Batter

1 (18.25 ounce) package Yellow Cake Mix
3 Eggs
1 cup Water
½ cup Vegetable Oil
1 (21 ounce) can Apple Pie Filling

Nut Crunch Topping

½ cup packed dark Brown Sugar
¼ cup packed light Brown Sugar
2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
3 tablespoon Butter (melted)
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 cup chopped Walnuts, Filberts or Pecans (Or you can be like me and go thirdsies)

Pre-heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 13” x 9” cake pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, eggs, water and vegetable oil and mix thoroughly. Add the apple pie filling and incorporate evenly. (You can mix them in when you’re beating the cake mix, but then they will break apart into small pieces. I like whole slices in mine, it’s your preference as to how you would like the apples)

In a separate bowl, melt the butter in a microwavable bowl. Add nuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix until all the butter has coated everything and the flour has made it bind somewhat. Spoon the topping evenly over the top of the cake.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 04:10:36 PM by Antares »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

Savory Onion & Herb Meatloaf

This recipe makes two (2) full loaves of Meatloaf

3 lbs. Ground Beef
1 lb. Ground Pork
3 Eggs
3 Onion Rolls (ground into bread crumbs)
1 packet Onion Soup Mix
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (You can also substitute Cream of Celery, Carrot or Chicken)
1 large Sweet Onion (diced ¼ inch)
2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1 tsp. Whole Black Peppercorns
½ tsp. Whole White Peppercorns
½ tsp. Whole Green Peppercorns
½ tsp. dried Rosemary
½ tsp. dried Thyme
½ tsp. dried Sweet Marjoram
¼ tsp. ground Sage
¼ tsp. ground Bay Leaf

Pre-heat oven 350°.

In a mortar, pestle the Peppercorns, Rosemary, Thyme and Marjoram until ground to a course consistency. Add the Mustard, Sage and Bay Leaf and pestle for an additional 30 seconds to wake up their aromatics.

In a LARGE mixing bowl, place Beef, Pork, Onion, Eggs, Onion Roll Crumbs, Soup Mixes and Spices and knead together until everything is well incorporated. You shouldn’t need to bind it anymore, but if you do think it’s not tacky enough, either add some dry breadcrumbs or Quick Oats.

Divide the mixture in half and weigh each portion on a kitchen scale to make sure they are exactly even in weight. This way, one doesn’t complete cooking ahead of the other. Mold and form the loaves in loaf pans and cover with Parchment Paper. Then cover with Aluminum Foil.

Cook for 1 hour in pre-heated oven. After the hour, remove the Foil and Parchment Paper and cook for another 15 minutes. Depending on how cold the mix is, you may have to go as far as another 30 minutes after the initial hour. Use a meat thermometer and check that the internal temperature is at 160-165°.