Author Topic: Amelie- so many people have not seen it!  (Read 10659 times)

kingston

Amelie- so many people have not seen it!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »
Basically, this movie will make you a happier human being. From the moment the end credits role your world will seem just a little bit magical. I can't stress enough how important it is that you see this film!

Don't let subtitles put you off, if anything it sort of makes you wish you could speak french.

The clever use of CGI will go almost un-noticed and the performances from the cast are spot on.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 06:44:49 PM »
I'm sure there are a lot of people who haven't seen Amelie (or originally known as Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain), but I wouldn't exactly call it overlooked. If anything, it was a relatively huge hit. I mean, 5 Oscar nominations, 7 Bafta nominations, millions at the box office world wide. Granted, it wasn't a blockbuster, but it's not an obscure little arthouse movie either.

I would rather nominate Jeanet's older movies (no, not Alien: Resurrection), the ones he created with Caro, namely Delicatessen and La Cité Des Enfants Perdus (City Of Lost Children) as overlooked films.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:02:42 PM »
I love both Delicatessen and City Of Lost Children.  I thought for sure that City of Lost Children would be on the top 5 dystopias list.  I would think these are two films that film students must see.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 12:09:56 AM »
I'm gonna plug another one of the books I listed in Top 5 Books About Film.

GET (everyone that is) GET the New Cinematographers.  If you like Delicatessen and City Of Lost Children those films are detailed by Darius Khondji.  He discusses which lenes he used, and why.  He goes into detail about the ENR process the lab did on City of the Lost Children and what it took to achieve that look.  Its facinating and a great companion to all these films.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Lunatique

• http://www.ethereality.info
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 01:13:03 AM »
I duno--in my social circle, everyone and his dog has seen Amelie and loved it. I personally didn't get into it as much as I had hoped--I thought it was mildly cute, that's about it. I do love City of the Lost Children though--one of my fav's.
Ooh... Obscene finger gesture."

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 01:39:33 AM »
Apparently overlooked is Jean-Pierre Jeunet's last film, A Very Long Engagement which I think is as good, if not better, than anything else he's done.  Including Alien: Resurrection.

Audrey Tautou plays a woman investigating what happened to her boyfriend during World War I.  With it's mix of timelines, unabashed romanticism, and surprisingly serious overtones, it's kind of a poor man's The English Patient, but with Jeunet's own lyrical/magical style.

Plus, it's got Jodie Foster speaking French.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
I just re-watched A Very Long Engagement last month. Fortunately Jeunet's success with Amelie got his next film a screening in my burgh so I did get to see it on the big screen first.

I love it, but you can definitely tell there's a difference with Jeunet working from an existing source (the novel) than the more original material. Still, I love all of his quirks.  Not only Jodie Foster, but Hal Hartley favorite Elina Löwensohn (and who had that Audrey Tautou waif look back in the early 90s) is in it.

It's also a horrifying look at the trenches of World War I, like All Quiet on the Western Front on steroids.

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 05:33:13 PM »
Just last week I went over to a friend's house with my roommate and they were watching Amelie. To my surprise, my roommate and three of the other people watching the movie had never seen it before. I guffawed accordingly.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

Virginie la snob

The most overrated film in France !
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »
The success of this film was so huge in France it became annoying ! OK it's beautiful but a little touristic and very false about Paris.

Shecky Yang

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 02:19:36 AM »
I found this film to be emotionally educational. There was a spiritual quality to it that made me a better person as I found hope renewed. I thought about it long afterwards and always recommend it to the uninitiated. It's a quiet film that is all the more special because director Jean-Pierre Jeunet allows Audrey Tautou to rip our hearts out with little fanfare and over-production you see so much in American films. A small gem.
assion always suffers the consequences of someone else's perspective.

love