love

Author Topic: Amelie- so many people have not seen it!  (Read 14775 times)

dallegre

Re: Amelie- so many people have not seen it!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 08:56:43 AM »
A local revival theater is showing Amelie on Monday, but unfortunately basketball season starts Monday and I'll have practice.  >:(

If I was you I'd watch 'Amelie', give basketball practice a miss, saying you've 'tweaked' something. ;)

I don't know how the rest of the team will take it if they found out I skipped practice to go watch a French romantic comedy. :P

Project Mayhem

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
I think Jeunet is an amazing director and Tautou was cast perfectly. I think the style of the film seemed to help the tone and the message of the film. Many will disagree... and while I love Gondry... I think the style was used more effectively here than in Spotless Mind.

Ryecatcher

• Frosted Flakes aren't that great.
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »
Saw this at DOC Films (U of C) back in 2002 and I've never looked at a yard gnome the same way since. .I think this one could only qualify as overlooked if you've only seen three French films (with subtitles) and this wasn't one of them.

A chick flick? Perhaps (but outstanding at any rate). But definitely not overlooked.
Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
I've never looked at a yard gnome the same way since....

LOL - I agree

Also yes, this is not overlooked. I saw this in the cinema when it came out with a bunch of people that had never watched a subtitled film before, but went because of the buzz it was getting. Jeunet deserves all the buzz he can get ;)

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

mrbadexample

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
Clearly a film nominated for 5 academy awards is overlooked, I mean, you must win in every category before these fat American audiences will haul themselves off their lazyboys to see an art film these days, amiright?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »
I was going to edit the subject line of this thread one day, but I thought, nah, let's wait and see if it still inspires rebuttals five years down the line.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
City of God is a stylized gangster film nominated for 4 Oscars, yet it also remains largely unseen. Not as unseen as The Music of Chance, but that's probably because it's the Best film of the 00s.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
Of course most people haven't seen those movies: they're old!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:46 PM »
City of God? Mostly unseen? Really? If it's held on the IMDB top 250 so well, it cannot be mostly unseen.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »
Bill Thompson List of Shame. August 2, 2011

City of God (2002) 4/5 - I bought this DVD back in 2005 and it was probably the top dog on my list of shame. And now that I've finally gotten around to watching it, the shame is tenfold.

I procrastinated on City of God for a long time also, Antares.

GothamCity151 Top 20 Discoveries of 2010

ses Filmspotter Top 100 films you haven't seen.

These are Filmspotters, and they just got around to watching almost 10 years later.