love

Author Topic: Good holiday music  (Read 15662 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Re: Good holiday music
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 04:16:54 PM »
Bowie and Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy / Peace On Earth ("Agents sliding down the chimney")

Hilliard Ensembles Morimur.

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »
Wynton Marsalis's Crescent City Christmas Card, my favorite Christmas album.
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

choatime

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »
I used to live in Omaha, where they play that crap year-round. I didn't like it before that, but now I'm convinced that exposure to that music would be a valid defense for random acts of violence.

I was under the impression that Conor Oberst had singlehandledly fixed this.  Isn't Omaha supposed to be uniformly cool now?

As far as Christmas songs go, it's really tough to beat "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues.

Last Christmas I remember loving Sufjan Stevens' Songs for Christmas albums last year, but sadly I treated them like holiday music and haven't listened to them since. 

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas
Aimee Mann - Another Drifter In The Snow
The Beach Boys - Christmas Album
Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas
Phil Spector - A Christmas gift from Phil Spector

I pretty much listen to this stuff 24/7 this time of year.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 10:14:04 PM »
That Vince Guaraldi album is perfect.

Songs I put in my mix are:

U2-"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
Run-DMC-"Xmas in Hollis"
Band Aid-"Do They Know It's Christmas?"
Bing Crosby/David Bowie-"Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth"
The Waitresses-"Christmas Wrapping"
Twisted Sister-"O Come All Ye Faithful"
Bob River-"I Am Santa Claus"
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 06:37:51 AM »
I was under the impression that Conor Oberst had singlehandledly fixed this.  Isn't Omaha supposed to be uniformly cool now?

I left just before all that ('98). I always thought Omaha was pretty cool, though, and still do. Sadly, Conor isn't the only musician from there—Chip Davis is, too, and so you hear Mannheim Steamroller all over town this time of year. It's perfectly horrid.

As far as Christmas songs go, it's really tough to beat "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues.

Good call.

Child of the 80s that I am, I also like this season because I get to listen to Billy Squier's "Christmas Is the Time to Say I Love You". I also really like Ray Charles' "Baby It's Cold Outside", as long as we're talking individual songs.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:41:46 AM by spoko »

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
Pink FLoy's Final Cut and David Gilmour's first album always say 'Xmas' to me. As does Prince's Purple Rain

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »
Pink FLoy's Final Cut and David Gilmour's first album always say 'Xmas' to me. As does Prince's Purple Rain
???
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 02:28:30 AM »
???

I can get behind this.  I have a similiar relationship to Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever Amen.  "Smoke" totally puts me in mind of a blustery late autumn, early winter day, the smell of burning leaves in the air, collars pulled up tight.  "Brick" is more wintry, set right during the holiday ("6 am day after Christmas" ... "(I) sell some gifts that I got") with a sound that feels like cold breaths visible in the chilly air (I picture the atmosphere of Ordinary People).  "Selfless, Cold, and Composed" is icier still, the bitter cold of early February, a frozen lake after the skaters have all gone home.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 02:34:03 AM »
i understand

love