love

Author Topic: Beginners' Marathon: Brazil  (Read 7925 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: Beginners' Marathon: Brazil
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »
It finally came today. Unfortunately, I can't get to it until this weekend. What happened to the intelligent discussion I witnessed in the 2001 thread? Come on, I'm sure there's plenty to talk about. Who was watching for the first time?
A$AP Fables

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:07 PM »
not me...

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »
I may be the only one actually. Now I remember why I put 2001 and Brazil first. The real fun begins with Solaris.
A$AP Fables

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
I really have nothing intelligent to say.  I love the face stretching scene.  Me and my friend were rolling in the aisles during it.  When we were 13.

It's times like this I remember I had a seriously f-ed up childhood.  It was my good little Mormon friend's idea to see it.  I had never heard of it.  We rode our bicycles probably 10 miles to the broke-down mall it was playing at.  Our parents probably had no idea where we were.

Oh.  And I remember loving it.  But the face stretching scene is the best.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
I may be the only one actually. Now I remember why I put 2001 and Brazil first. The real fun begins with Solaris.

This was my first time watching Brazil - absolutely loved it. I need to own it now. I love the face stretching thing, too, and I love the whole look of it. I love the Britishness of it - (I can seeTerry Gilliam's hand in it) -the way disasters are downplayed or ignored altogether (eg. the terrorist bombing in the restaurant scene) which reminds me of the Black Knight in Holy Grail and more recently of Shaun of the Dead when the two surviving parties meet each other, chat for a bit, and move on without mentioning the fact that everyone's becoming zombies around them. Brilliantly hilarious.

Will someone please explain to me the differences between the two versions of Brazil? (I'm assuming I've watched the "better" version because it had the distopian ending.)

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
Finally finished it, and I couldn't help but be a little disappointed. I loved Jonathan Pryce, the music, and the visual flourishes, but it just felt kinda empty to me. It had a lot to say, but it took a long time to do it. There's nothing I disliked about it, I just have no desire to see it again. 

Moving on to Solaris later tonight.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »
Basil going into Brazil:  "Come on, I'm sure there's plenty to talk about."

Basil coming out of Brazil:  "...I just have no desire to see it again."

:)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 05:58:09 PM »
Brazil is awesome. The style, the performances, the everything. Great movie. I could watch this movie again and again.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I think I subconsciously foresaw what my response to the film would be. Everyone was saying they loved it and how it was one of their favorite films, and I was anxious to hear what  they liked about it. Therefore, now that I have seen it, I am even more curious as to what you all find so masterful about it, since it didn't do much for me. I could spend hours talking about what I love about my favorite films, but when I dislike a film, there isn't much to say other than that it had a lot of problems and I wasn't compelled by it.

Therefore, other than the brilliance of the face stretching, what do you all see in this movie? I know Adam is with me; I believe it appeared on his overrated list.
A$AP Fables

Basil

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 06:00:38 PM »
Brazil is awesome. The style, the performances, the everything. Great movie. I could watch this movie again and again.

What about the style? What purpose did it serve? It's fun to look at, sure, but so is something like The Good German.
A$AP Fables

love