love

Author Topic: Top 5 Christmas Movies  (Read 30236 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Top 5 Christmas Movies
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »
The Canon did an American Psycho episode and they pondered whether it was a Christmas movie. Thoughts?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie. If the promotional poster/home video artwork doesn't feature a protagonist/antagonist in Christmas-esque clothing/gear and there isn't any decorative flourishes to the text/design of said artwork, then that isn't a G-D X-MAS MOVIE.

There, I said my peace.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »
Bless.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »

Does that rule have exceptions?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »
How much of Wonderful Life takes place during the Christmas Season? I remember it as a year long story with a Christmas climax. I ask because Larceny Inc. is like that, Christmas is only in the last 20 minutes, and Larceny rarely gets mentioned as a Christmas movie. That's partly because of its obscurity but also because when watching it it's a long time before you get to the Holidays, something Wonderful Life never has to deal with.

How many Christmas movies take place strictly within the Holiday Season between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day? This may be something White Christmas has over Holiday Inn. (That and the blackface... but that's it.) It's something Die Hard, Gremlins, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Lethal Weapon and Batman Returns has in their favor.

Is Carol a Christmas movie?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
It's a Wonderful Life takes place over a number of years. When I watch tomorrow night, I'll mark the time when the angel says, "Now show him what happened this morning" (or whatever the line is).

I actually think of Ordinary People as a Christmas movie, but that may say more about me (particularly this year) than the film.

"Let's have the best Christmas ever."

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
How much of Wonderful Life takes place during the Christmas Season? I remember it as a year long story with a Christmas climax. I ask because Larceny Inc. is like that, Christmas is only in the last 20 minutes, and Larceny rarely gets mentioned as a Christmas movie. That's partly because of its obscurity but also because when watching it it's a long time before you get to the Holidays, something Wonderful Life never has to deal with.

It begins and ends at Christmas, and the long years are flashbacks.  The flashbacks are most of the movie, but the present time is Christmas at the end of the story.

I was re-watching part of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and it's a quite wonderful bad film.  It actually has some decent acting, and a Fail Safe-eque setting but front-and-center are the ridiculous costumes and the insane kid-friendly ending.  It really should have been a lead up to War of the Worlds.

Some films that take place on Christmas that may not make most people's lists:

The Thin Man
The Blue Bird
The Curse of the Cat People
Christmas in Conneticut
The Lemon Drop Kid
The Ref
Joyeux Noel
Unaccompanied Minors

Less Than Zero
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »
It's a Wonderful Life takes place over a number of years. When I watch tomorrow night, I'll mark the time when the angel says, "Now show him what happened this morning" (or whatever the line is).

1:17 (out of 2:10) marks the film's return to Christmas Eve, 1945, as first established by the prologue.

pixote

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
I also think the fact that NBC shows It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve every year for, I don't know how many years, has helped establish it as a Christmas movie.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) - Perfection, and has the best score of all-time.

2. Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) - Scrooge doesn't get better than Scrooge McDuck.

3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) - One of those comedies that is right on my exact wavelength.

4. Home Alone (1990) - Watched a thousand times as a kid and still love it today.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) - An epic in 26 minutes.

I love The Nightmare Before Christmas but like to watch it around Thanksgiving - right between Halloween and Christmas.

I need to watch It's a Wonderful Life again. I love it. Just haven't seen it in years.

A Garfield Christmas is an overlooked classic. Very funny, but deals with loss and loneliness more poignantly than most dramas.

Christmas at Pee Wee's Playhouse is gonzo holiday fun featuring: Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Charo, Grace Jones, k.d. lang, Dinah Shore, Little Richard, Cher, the Del Rubio Triplets, Magic Johnson, Princess Zsa Zsa, Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey, and Joan Rivers.

love