Author Topic: Favourite Creators of Art  (Read 2375 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Favourite Creators of Art
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
This is such a silly idea, that I can't even see an appropriate board to place it on. I, recently, wrote about an adaptation of a Dashiell Hammett story; saying that Dash would be the fairy on my Christmas Tree of Culture- my favourite creator in any form. The Pixies and The Smiths would be on the next level down. So once I'd had the idea, it was like an itch I couldn't scratch, until of course I wrote out a list of my 30 favourites in any art form.

Faintly insane, trying to compare across art forms, so the order shows how much effect these cultural entities have on my worldview, what I enjoy, and what generates the most enthusiasm inside this human unit.

Observations; No painters, nor composers, nor sculptors; my cultural blindspots exposed for all to see. Ah well.

1. Dashiell Hammett
2. Pixies
3. The Smiths
4. Alfred Hitchcock
5. William Shakespeare
6. Elmore Leonard
7. Stanley Kubrick
8. The Beatles
9. James Ellroy
10. Larry Niven
11. Alan Moore
12. The Rolling Stones
13. Sidney Lumet
14. John D MacDonald
15. Iain M Banks
16. David Bowie
17. Prince
18. Akira Kurosawa
19. The Buzzcocks
20. Francois Truffaut
21. The Clash
22. James Crumley
23. The Archers
24. Frank Miller
25. The Coen Brothers
26. Richard Condon
27. Anton Chekov
28. JP Melville
29. Sly and the Family Stone
30. Billy Wilder

Itch scratched.

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Favourite Creators of Art
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
 :))

How wonderful!

Now that is a monumental undertaking and it blows my mind, really. I'm smiling, because I know enough there to understand why you've chosen them, but there is so much more to discover. Must read some Hammett. It would be great if on occasion, you threw in some favorite quotes or song links onto this thread. I'm stymied how you were able to rank them. :D

I'm looking around me trying to think what I could possibly put on a list like that. What am I most enthusiastic about? I'm coming up blank, because it's so daunting. Is this my Christmas Culture tree? :D

... Been contemplating on this for a while and even though I'm not up for a ranking list, I can throw in a few artists that give me joy:

Greene and Greene

Chapman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZ5hF-qZDY

Teichert

Your #8 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0Q8ytD44Y

And of course, Brontė and Austen

Thanks verbALs for being the catalyst for some good thinking today.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:21:45 PM by Sandy »

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
I don“t know how you did it verbALs  :o
I“m tempted but for me it would be easier to list individual works, the list of my biggest emotional shocks facing art, I could work on it, btw I read a lot of Hammett when I was in my early teens, I liked him a lot, I have such a  good memory of those readings that recently I have bought the Library of America volume dedicated to his novels, alas I have not yet found the time and energy to dwell into it.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
Doing the list as individual works certainly appeals but measuring the influence of the artist on me seems easier, to me, than measuring a book against an album or film.

My first experience of Hammett was of four of his novels in one volume; having read through Raymond Chandler's book collected in three or four volumes; so it was in the same series. It has been a combination of reading the stories on their own merits plus how the films bolster the stories (book and film versions only ever enhance the story for me; unless it's de Palma's "Bonfire of the Vanities" or de Palma's "Black Dahlia" or de P......) plus Hammett's influence on so many other books and films; that puts him on top of my tree.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love