Author Topic: #190: I Am Legend/Juno/Page-Cody Interview/Top 5 Lead Performances of 2007  (Read 11391 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: #190: I Am Legend/Juno/Page-Cody Interview/Top 5 Lead Performances of 2007
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »
I was not inferring that you wanted him to duplicate his previous work.  I was just commenting on what I heard in the Coppola interview.  :)  I would too like to see him get his groove back.  ;)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ryanwtyler

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
i guess im asking why coppola would even say that?  it doesnt even make sense.  those movies are so unique that duplication doesn't even fit into the conversation.  i would expect maybe judd apatow to say that or someone else who made hits that were formulaic.  those movies couldn't be duplicated nor would i think anyone could even suggest he try.   i should read the interview

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »
who said anything about duplicate?  why would you expect him to do that in or out of the studio system.  apocalypse is nothing like conversation is nothing like apocalypse.  but they had something that jack, rainmaker et. all did not.  i would rather him make good movies.  period.  studio no studio, experiment or conventional.  visionary directors can make great movies that have plot, character development, a beginning, middle and end.  when i hear experimental i think of weird, boring and not giving a shit about the audience.  all i was saying was someone who made those movies is obviously a genius and i wish hed get some of that back
Sorry, when I hear about someone losing their groove, it suggests to me that maybe they need to return to what made them so good before. Youth has a plot and a beginning, middle and end... it's also weird, boring and challenging. If anyone can get away with "not giving a shit about his audience" a bit, in my book, it's Coppola.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

ryanwtyler

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 06:10:59 PM »
oh he can get away with it alright.  i wish he wouldnt do it though.  because i loved those movies so much and i want to see one of my favorite directors make a movie i love again

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
I was just kidding about my groove comment, hence the  ;).  Anyway, like I said I can't comment on Youth until I have seen it.  The interview I heard was from a podcast called Film Week.  It is a public radio show from California.  Check it out and form your own opinions.   :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ryanwtyler

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
and in no way was i suggesting that getting your groove back means duplicating anything.  when godfather was brilliant he made apocalypse without duplicating much, he made conversation without duplicating anything.  etc.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 02:43:25 AM »
he made conversation without duplicating anything.  etc.

Well, except maybe Antonioni's BlowUp. . . .
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ryanwtyler

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2007, 06:48:11 AM »
duplicating any of HIS movies

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
I despise me some tim roth.  He almost single-handedly ruined resovior dogs.  His american accent is beyond redicuous.  His scene where hes dying is utterly ridiculous.  i hate that otherwise smart people like him.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen Gridlock'd?  Roth is pretty excellent in it, if memory serves.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
I despise me some tim roth.  He almost single-handedly ruined resovior dogs.  His american accent is beyond redicuous.  His scene where hes dying is utterly ridiculous.  i hate that otherwise smart people like him.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen Gridlock'd?  Roth is pretty excellent in it, if memory serves.

pixote

I think you got the gist of it.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

love