love

Author Topic: Alien Vs. Predator- Requiem  (Read 6277 times)

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
Alien Vs. Predator- Requiem
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »
I'm going to go on record as saying that this movie kicks ass. It's pretty much everything that I was hoping to get out of the first movie, but didn't. There's no lame Predators teaming up with humans, first of all. I love the escalation of kills and action- it starts out with a bang, and doesn't ever really slow down. By the end of the movie it's pretty balls out, the blonde chick getting killed in the hospital was wonderfully unexpected and the Predator/Alien fight at the end was incredibly satisfying.

It's a great mix of sci-fi and horror, the sound work is wonderful and I generally liked all the protagonists. One of the few times somebody said something really stupid, he was promptly told that he was too dumb to speak. And I liked the homages to the previous films (when the Alien is menacing the waitress in the kitchen and when the older brother says "Get to the chopper!"). All in all, I left supremely entertained.

Grade: A-
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

Rene A. Moncivais

Re: Alien Vs. Predator- Requiem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:00:06 AM »
This is good news.  I actually think this movie looks pretty fun.  Now I am a little anxious to see this.
"What about Oliver Stone?"

"Ummm, send him meat."

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:06:35 PM »
While the set design was fair, I felt that the actual battle sequences between the two creatures to be less than satisfying. The camera was far too shoddy. It was very close to the creatures and very, very shaky. Add these two ingredients to the fact that the battles took lace at night and in the rain and I realized that the filmmakers had really no intention of showing us the battles cleanly because they probably did not know what to do with them. From what I could distinguish, it seemed like a lot of pushing and punching, like young school boys. For a film titled Alien versus Predator, there was a) little time spent with Aliens battling Predators and b) a very crummy, disjointed vision of the battles themselves.

It's strange because when i saw the trailer, i thought it would be cool to see both aliens and predators running amock in a town populated with soon-to-be victims, but for some reason the film portrayal of this event ended up being rather comical. Probably not the intention of whoever the heck made this film. Brothers who?

Grade: D
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »
Yeah, it's got a bit of shaky-camera syndrome, but I think it's ultimately a good fight. And there's plenty of aliens fighting the Predator- it's all the Predator does! He spends the whole movie hunting them and blowing their heads off, which is awesome!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.boothfilmcritics.org

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 04:30:23 PM »
Yeah, it's got a bit of shaky-camera syndrome, but I think it's ultimately a good fight. And there's plenty of aliens fighting the Predator- it's all the Predator does! He spends the whole movie hunting them and blowing their heads off, which is awesome!

I'm going on record to say, that this movie was a piece of crap... worst movie of the year... easily.... it was garbage.... 100%.... pure, crap filled garbage...

here's why.....

Alien life cycle... now aliens burst out of their hosts chest in the a matter of minutes... not hours, or days (like it was originaly done)

Predalien... why does it have fangs, and dread locks???

this movie blows... really blows... rob zombie Halloween blows.... FU FOX
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

phazedalx

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
I can almost say that the first movie had a better presentation of the fights.

I felt like everytime the predator went up against one of the aliens we got these close up shots and quick cuts.  I think its fairly obvious they were trying to hide the low budget and/or shoddy pratical effects with some fancy camera work.  The end fight between the predator and predalien is a good example of this as is the assault on the national guard column.

In the first movie you have the great first predator kill and the reveal of the alien coming out of the dark.  The main fight where the predator throws the alien by the tail is great too.

One of my biggest complaints/enjoyments was the music.  I thought it was a very good score, but horrendously out of place in this movie.  It just felt too epic, much too epic for this movie.

Like the above poster said, the Alien life cycle was all sorts of messed up.  And please explain to me how the Aliens were able to secrete the hive in the hospital in an extremely small amount of time.

Don't even get me started on the two end scenes (special forces and Ms. Yutani)

Some things were done right in this movie.  The predator was very convincing and all of his "toys" were pretty cool.

If you were to combine the presentation of the first movie with the scenario of this movie I think overall it would have been better (not good, but better).

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »
Aw, come on. It's a Something Vs. Something horror movie- suspension of disbelief, people!

Worst movie of the year? It can't seriously be any worse than Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Damn it. I hate when I'm the only person who thinks a movie is any good.

www.boothfilmcritics.org

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »
I want to thank the above debaters who mentioned the the presentation of the fights of the first film. That was an example of how to show off some predator versus alien mayhem. There a wee bit of shaky camera in the first movie, but there were more than a few payoff moments, such as the shot of the predator swinging the alien around the room by its tail (thanks for pointing that one out phazedalx).

There was absolutely none of that in this installment.

One thing i did not mention was the predator/alien creature. Is it just me or did that thing look a little...cheesy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was something about that creature that shouted 'low budget.'

Thanks also to phazedalx for mentioning the score. it was far, far too heavy. No sense of tension at all. Although the overall production values of the first few alien movies were hugely impressive, the score also provided a crucial atmosphere in those films. In AVPR, it was just brass, brass, and bombastic brass.

Sorry Alien versus Predator fans, but this series just isn't doing it for me. It's too bad, particularly when one considers how exciting and tension filled those early Alien movies were.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 09:44:45 PM »
Aw, come on. It's a Something Vs. Something horror movie- suspension of disbelief, people!

Worst movie of the year? It can't seriously be any worse than Resident Evil: Apocalypse

RE: Apocalypse was pretty darn good, for what it was. Now, Ghost Rider... there is a bad movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 09:59:36 PM »
I can in all honesty say that I was not expecting such an academic discussion about this movie.

RE: Apocalypse was pretty darn good, for what it was.

Yeah, and this isn't bad for what it is. I think if you were wanting this to be as good as the original Alien, you never had any hope of being entertained. Or maybe I'm just easy to please.

www.boothfilmcritics.org