love

Author Topic: There Will Be Blood  (Read 32377 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: There Will Be Blood
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
First Post!

Seen this twice now as the first time I got there late and missed the fact that Plainfield takes HW in so the ending felt false and disconnected for me.  The second time i though "this is the greatest american film of the 21st century."  I think the reveal to HW makes total psychological sense on Plainview's part.  He has to have people that need him and when his adoptive son goes against this it enrages his ego.  He also talks about HWs shady dealings and manipulation of him over the years and about how he has none of Plainview in him.  Of course this is Plainview to a T but since he also detests the parts of himself that he sees in others (Eli & Henry for instance) he has to deny these things.  The Eli confrontation can only happen after this scene as Eli is the one who ultimately hardened the connection between father and son in the come to jesus scene (hilarious btw). We see that Plainview take out his frustractions of his own short comings on others... I would argue that he kills henry not because he is angry at henry but at himself bor allowing himself to be manipulated so he attacks the cause instead of attempting to resolve the interior issue.  So he kills Eli because he is angry at himself for the way he handles the confrontation with his son.

I think you nailed it.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »
First Post!

Seen this twice now as the first time I got there late and missed the fact that Plainfield takes HW in so the ending felt false and disconnected for me.  The second time i though "this is the greatest american film of the 21st century."  I think the reveal to HW makes total psychological sense on Plainview's part.  He has to have people that need him and when his adoptive son goes against this it enrages his ego.  He also talks about HWs shady dealings and manipulation of him over the years and about how he has none of Plainview in him.  Of course this is Plainview to a T but since he also detests the parts of himself that he sees in others (Eli & Henry for instance) he has to deny these things.  The Eli confrontation can only happen after this scene as Eli is the one who ultimately hardened the connection between father and son in the come to jesus scene (hilarious btw). We see that Plainview take out his frustractions of his own short comings on others... I would argue that he kills henry not because he is angry at henry but at himself bor allowing himself to be manipulated so he attacks the cause instead of attempting to resolve the interior issue.  So he kills Eli because he is angry at himself for the way he handles the confrontation with his son.

I think you nailed it.
Really? You think he regrets how he handles the situation with his son? I don't see any chance of Plainview feeling that. I'm not sure he's capable of regret by that point, but more importantly, he did a good thing letting his son go.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »
I think this can actually be played out as a black comedy.  The theater I saw it in was laughing and there was a huge round of applause at the end of the film.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
Really? You think he regrets how he handles the situation with his son? I don't see any chance of Plainview feeling that. I'm not sure he's capable of regret by that point, but more importantly, he did a good thing letting his son go.

I read the scene with him and his "brother" as revealing a depth of self-awareness that makes both regretting the way he treated his son and the knowledge that he did the right thing in sending him away possible.  In other words, I think you're both right.

I think it's more of a stretch to say that he kills Eli because of his son, though that's certainly plausible.  I'm toying with the idea that he kills Eli because he recognizes that he and Eli are fundamentally the same.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
I think this can actually be played out as a black comedy.  The theater I saw it in was laughing and there was a huge round of applause at the end of the film.
Yes, the question is whether Anderson wanted the humor there (or didn't care that it came through) For me personally, it's a problem. I think those moments could have been much more interesting without going over the top.

Of course, then I wouldn't be able to walk around the rest of my life saying "DRAYYY-NAGE!" for no reason... or "I drink your milkshake... I drink it up!"
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

wombat

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »
Yes, the question is whether Anderson wanted the humor there (or didn't care that it came through)

Adam, if you check out the interview with Paul Thomas Anderson in this week's Onion, he says that he was hoping to get laughter from the audience. The question specifically addresses uncomfortable moments in the movie getting laughs, but PTA's answer seems to be a more general statement about the movie itself. Perhaps the movie would have been more powerful if it ended in a more understated manner, but I personally enjoyed watching the Plainview meltdown.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
Yes, the question is whether Anderson wanted the humor there (or didn't care that it came through)

Adam, if you check out the interview with Paul Thomas Anderson in this week's Onion, he says that he was hoping to get laughter from the audience. The question specifically addresses uncomfortable moments in the movie getting laughs, but PTA's answer seems to be a more general statement about the movie itself. Perhaps the movie would have been more powerful if it ended in a more understated manner, but I personally enjoyed watching the Plainview meltdown.
There was a lot of laughter in the theatre I was in.  They even laughed at the part when Plainview talked about how he hated most people and him wanting to move far away from everyone.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 05:31:31 AM »
Yes, the question is whether Anderson wanted the humor there (or didn't care that it came through) For me personally, it's a problem. I think those moments could have been much more interesting without going over the top.

Of course, then I wouldn't be able to walk around the rest of my life saying "DRAYYY-NAGE!" for no reason... or "I drink your milkshake... I drink it up!"
http://www.idrinkyourmilkshake.com/

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »
I'm really going nuts waiting for this to come out around here.   Looking at this thread every day, wanting to read it, while it mocks me continuously!
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »

http://www.idrinkyourmilkshake.com/

I need to find a way to make that sound byte my new ringtone.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

love