Author Topic: Top 5 Satires  (Read 5196 times)

J-Llo

• http://www.j-llo.com
Top 5 Satires
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:03:36 AM »
This list all depends on each individual person's interpretation of 'satire'. I had to do some google research to check whether the films on my top 5 were classed as satires. Heres my list, but take note I have still yet to watch Dr Strangelove and This Is Spinal Tap, eventhough I own both on DVD lol!

5. Metropolis
This seminal film is a classic satire of class strugle between the working class and the priviliged.

4. King of Comedy
Satire on the cult of celebrity status. De Niro / Scorcese combination, need I say more?

3. A Clockwork Orange
Many satires in this movie from drugs use to violence to sexuality. Just a quality film deserving of any top 5, wherever you can fit it in!

2. Series 7 The Contenders
Satirizes television and reality tv shows in particular. Very 'different' film, and very dark.

1. Life of Brian
Religious satire at it's best and funniest!

Anyway, feel free to pick away at my choices and add your own!

nougatmachine

Top 5 Satires
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:42:16 AM »
Metropolis is amazing, but I don't know if I'd really call it a satire...it seems to take it's themes in a pretty serious/straightforward way.

At least, that's how it seemed to me the last time I saw it which was a few years ago.  Did I just miss something?

J-Llo

• http://www.j-llo.com
Top 5 Satires
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »
Yeah I do know what you mean as I had to think long and hard about including it (ok not that long lol) but there is satire in the movie with regards to the class struggle as I noted above!

John Steed

Top 5 Satires
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 05:42:44 AM »
in no order :

- Mash (1970)
- The Candidate (1972
- The Great Dictator (1940)
- Dr Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
- This is Spinal Tap (1984

Kilroy'sCarnival

Top 5 Satires
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:59:31 AM »
I'm not at all sure I'd put these in the Top 5... but Sam and Adam's selections made me think of them.

From the discussion of Network and its prescience about the current state of TV news, my mind went to 1979's Albert Brooks film Real Life, which pretty much parodied the current reality TV infestation long before it came. It's the one where a film crew totally wires a family's homes and lives so that every facet of their lives could be caught on film.  Truthfully, I haven't seen it in years, but it went on my Netflix queue to see whether it deserves another look. (I don't think it's in the caliber of Network, but thematically it tied in.)

Also, adding to the list of political satires, 1967's The President's Analyst, which stars James Coburn as psychiatrist to the Commander in Chief, who ends up in the midst of spy versus counterspy in the Cold War era and social change of the late 60's.  I recall this one being mentioned by critics about 10-15 years ago, which is when I saw it on videotape.

--Ann

directorscut

Top 5 Satires
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »
Cough. Sunset Blvd.

Hawkeye

• Laughter is the best medicine
Top 5 Satires
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »
the top satires:

1) M*A*S*H
2) Young Frankenstein
3) Dr. Strangelove
4) Blazing Saddles
5) Scary Movie 3
Soitenly yours,

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Top 5 Satires
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
1.Network
2.Harold and Maude
3.M*A*S*H*
4.Monty Pythin and the Holy Grail
5.Dr. Strangelove

and for good measure (and its a bit of a stretch)  Wet Hot American Summer, a satire of 80s teen camp/sex comedies.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

marguerite

Top 5 Satires
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 10:52:46 AM »
Quote from: "CSSCHNEIDER"
and for good measure (and its a bit of a stretch)  Wet Hot American Summer, a satire of 80s teen camp/sex comedies.

I saw Wet Hot American Summer on Comedy Central, and didn't expect much, but I was actually surprised at how funny it was. Not my favorite, but still, I laughed.

And, if we're talking about mockumentary satires like Spinal Tap, I have to bring up the BBC show The Office. Obviously not a movie, but still, the funniest show you will ever see, and a brilliantly true commentary on office life. So true in fact, that sometimes it's painful to watch.

NichBoy

• http://www.mytightlittlespace.com
Top 5 Satires
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 11:40:33 PM »
5. Sunset Blvd.
4. Network
3. Zoolander
2. A Clockwork Orange
1. Dr. Strangelove
hese are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

love