Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126304 times)

Think_Long

Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
recast is, as far as i know, you can put the 're' prefix to almost any verb

And yet a comma should never be used in place of a semicolon!

very droll sir, very droll

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
And yet true.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »
. and yes, i enjoy difference, how boring would it be if we all thumbs-upped every film in unison . that said, i hardly go out of my way to incite, and what i share with y'all are my thoughts and beliefs on not only film, but why i think film is valuable, how it relates to the world - unfortunately, not a lot of people here do that .

skjerva, what's the thinking behind your occasionaly use of periods at the beginning of paragraphs and spaces on each side of periods (and sometimes commas) in between sentences?  It doesn't mean anything to me as a reader, I'm afraid.

pixote
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:16:40 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »
. and yes, i enjoy difference, how boring would it be if we all thumbs-upped every film in unison . that said, i hardly go out of my way to incite, and what i share with y'all are my thoughts and beliefs on not only film, but why i think film is valuable, how it relates to the world - unfortunately, not a lot of people here do that .

skjerva, what's the thinking behind your occasionaly use of periods at the beginning of paragraphs and spaces on each side of periods (and sometimes commas) in between sentences?  It doesn't mean anything to me as a reader, I'm afraid.

pixote

. just (sometimes) trying something out with the periods, playing around . i kinda like the look of it . the comma issue is something altogether different, i have a long-standing issue with obsessive use :) 
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »
. just (sometimes) trying something out with the periods, playing around . i kinda like the look of it . the comma issue is something altogether different, i have a long-standing issue with obsessive use :) 

Punctuation is a visual clue for content and meaning.  It's really not meant as decoration; but if it makes you happy, then I'm happy.
Texan Down Under

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »
Even if it made skjerka crushingly unhappy, I'd still rather he didn't 'decorate'. Punctuation is a beautiful thing, but only when it isn't being figuratively raped.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
Even if it made skjerka crushingly unhappy, I'd still rather he didn't 'decorate'. Punctuation is a beautiful thing, but only when it isn't being figuratively raped.

. punctuation is a hegemonic tool undertheorized . using rape as an analogy is symptomatic of a patriarchial world-view that does work to maintain the status quo (the same kind of work reifying "rules" of grammar does)

;D
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
Here's a site that covers some word stuff.  :) Most of them are pretty straight forward.

Teenage vs. teenaged.
Some people object that the word should be “teenaged,” but unlike the still nonstandard “ice tea” and “stain glass,” “teenage” is almost universally accepted now.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »

. punctuation is a hegemonic tool undertheorized . using rape as an analogy is symptomatic of a patriarchial world-view that does work to maintain the status quo (the same kind of work reifying "rules" of grammar does)

;D

Sickawhat?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »
psmd; dwedj2- fj s swnnd mans diwd. j=2ezqaz ded,ped - di -, nwer ..?/

t0cza
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad