love

Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126293 times)

Think_Long

Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »
I have difficulty with ";" and ":" I think I either skipped that week, or they just didn't cover it right. I take much more care in formal writing then writing here on the boards. I love using ellipses here, but it wouldn't fly in a real paper.

the MLA handbook has a pretty extensive section on this issue. it is probably my most common mistake in formal writing, i always either overuse or under-use the semicolon.

i also recently learned that there are three different hyphens, but i haven't a clue what the different names are or different uses. one for conjunctions, one for interjections, and one for something else i suppose

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2008, 01:15:07 PM »
if i've got to stick with one, i prefer chicago style, but my discipline uses the worthless APA (freakin' yahoos
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Think_Long

« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
APA, what a crock!

i've never used chicago, but i'm guessing most of the difference between the three forms comes from citation strategies, correct?

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
Even if it made skjerka crushingly unhappy, I'd still rather he didn't 'decorate'. Punctuation is a beautiful thing, but only when it isn't being figuratively raped.

. punctuation is a hegemonic tool undertheorized . using rape as an analogy is symptomatic of a patriarchial world-view that does work to maintain the status quo (the same kind of work reifying "rules" of grammar does)

;D

Is that your impression of a first year sociology student's (clumsy) essay?   :)

is that the best you can do?  such a clumsy response i can't tell what it is supposed to mean aside from offering a snide insult.  apparently, you feel no need to address the content, unless you actually agree with it ;)

The content, my good fellow, is MEANINGLESS TOSH! That's what it is! I'm not going to even address it. It's like when Americans add 'istic' onto the the end of every adjective to make themselves sound intelligent (ha!). Oh sorry, I mean 'intelligentistic'...

Ooh, almost forgot the anger diffusing smiley!  ;D

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
i'd go with the latter, what happened?

We determined there are arguments for both forms and that they are now used interchangeably. The jury (aka my sisters friends) were evenly split so I went with what I originally had down. It is likely Master's is formally correct as the degree asserts you are a master of your field, however at some point both became acceptable.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »
I have a Master's degree. It's Master's. It bloody better be, anyway.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »
Even if it made skjerka crushingly unhappy, I'd still rather he didn't 'decorate'. Punctuation is a beautiful thing, but only when it isn't being figuratively raped.

. punctuation is a hegemonic tool undertheorized . using rape as an analogy is symptomatic of a patriarchial world-view that does work to maintain the status quo (the same kind of work reifying "rules" of grammar does)

;D

Is that your impression of a first year sociology student's (clumsy) essay?   :)

is that the best you can do?  such a clumsy response i can't tell what it is supposed to mean aside from offering a snide insult.  apparently, you feel no need to address the content, unless you actually agree with it ;)

The content, my good fellow, is MEANINGLESS TOSH! That's what it is! I'm not going to even address it. It's like when Americans add 'istic' onto the the end of every adjective to make themselves sound intelligent (ha!). Oh sorry, I mean 'intelligentistic'...

Ooh, almost forgot the anger diffusing smiley!  ;D

hey!? i didn't use an "istic"!

on the content battle, i'll assume you're joking, since it is pretty obviously true (and you do have a master's) :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
I don't like to be a pedant, but I did say "it's like when Americans add 'istic'[...]".

But as you say, my anger is all in good humour. But there is a message behind it: punctuation matters!*

Think_Long

« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »
I don't like to be a pedant, but I did say "it's like when Americans add 'istic'[...]".

But as you say, my anger is all in good humour. But there is a message behind it: punctuation matters!*

saying 'pedant' is pretty pedantistic of you

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »
This is just gonna go nowheres fast, and soonistic.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love