Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126283 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »
Addictive vs Addicting.

It's the same thing, right? Where did this 'addicting' business start? Where will it end?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
Addictive vs Addicting.

It's the same thing, right? Where did this 'addicting' business start? Where will it end?
Shooting from the hip: I would say the difference is in tense.

Addictive seems like it is an adjective as a blanket statement. It's a big, overall, general description. - "That drug is addictive, and I'm lazy."

Addicting makes it feel like it's happening. RIGHT. NOW. - "THAT DRUG IS ADDICTING. AND IT'S RUNNING AWAY WITH MY DAUGHTER! HELP! SOMEONE STOP THAT ADDICTING DRUG!"

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
Well, I found this: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/addictive-versus-addicting.aspx

But addicting still sounds annoying to me.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
I haven't read that link yet, but I picture two people eating raw cookie dough out of a giant bowl.  If one says, "This is addicting!" that creates a stronger sense that they themselves (double plural pronouns with singular antecedent for the loss!) are getting addicted to the delicious, delicious goodness in the bowl.  But if one of them says instead, "This is addictive," there's more distance between that statement of fact and their own current action, so it's less clear if they themselves (really? they themselves?) are getting in the process of addicted to the delicious, delicious goodness in the bowl.  "Addictive" in that scenario might be better suited for a statement such as, "They say this is addictive, but I could stop right now."  Even if that's a lie.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
I haven't read that link yet, but I picture two people eating raw cookie dough out of a giant bowl.  If one says, "This is addicting!" that creates a stronger sense that they themselves (double plural pronouns with singular antecedent for the loss!) are getting addicted to the delicious, delicious goodness in the bowl.  But if one of them says instead, "This is addictive," there's more distance between that statement of fact and their own current action, so it's less clear if they themselves (really? they themselves?) are getting in the process of addicted to the delicious, delicious goodness in the bowl.  "Addictive" in that scenario might be better suited for a statement such as, "They say this is addictive, but I could stop right now."  Even if that's a lie.

pixote

hungry, pix?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
I would call these forums addictive because I became addicted to them long ago.  But, for a newcomer here, it'd probably be more apt for them to call the forums addicting.

(Very hungry, yes.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
Words.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
and Grammar.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
and Stuff.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »
a dic ting