love

Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126228 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
Robert Siegel on NPR today, in reference to a story on North Korea, said, "The media are state-controlled."

I would have said, "The media is . . ." and treated "media" as a collective noun (eg. The committee is making a decision; the choir is singing an oratorio) rather than a plural noun (people are weird).

I guess "media" is the plural of "medium," so should I always treat it like a plural noun and use "are"? Or is "media" in some cases a collective noun?  ??

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
Robert Siegel on NPR today, in reference to a story on North Korea, said, "The media are state-controlled."

I would have said, "The media is . . ." and treated "media" as a collective noun (eg. The committee is making a decision; the choir is singing an oratorio) rather than a plural noun (people are weird).

I guess "media" is the plural of "medium," so should I always treat it like a plural noun and use "are"? Or is "media" in some cases a collective noun?  ??

I thought media is supposed to be treated as a plural noun, kind of like bacteria is the plural of bacterium.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »

I thought media is supposed to be treated as a plural noun, kind of like bacteria is the plural of bacterium.
Most people, or at least many people, say "media is," don't they?

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »

I think that is true, but I don't think it is correct. When referring to "the media", I think that it commonly seen as a single entity, so maybe that is why most people say "The media is", but you wouldn't say "Media is", you would say "Media are".
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #594 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »

I think that is true, but I don't think it is correct. When referring to "the media", I think that it commonly seen as a single entity, so maybe that is why most people say "The media is", but you wouldn't say "Media is", you would say "Media are".
Makes sense. I'm going to be more conscious of this now and probably drive my friends crazy. :)

Here's one blog/article about the usage that I found helpful.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #595 on: April 01, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
Doesn't go here, but didn't know where to post it, so what ever. Do you people, collectively or inidivdually, believe that Ginsberg's "Howl"'s aesthetic and rhetorical choices raise questions of marginalization in terms of race, gender, sexuality, socio-economic status or political affiliation. Not all, perhaps, but at least one or more? I am whittling down poems to use for part of my content exam and this one seems fitting, and non-generic.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #596 on: April 01, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
Doesn't go here, but didn't know where to post it, so what ever. Do you people, collectively or inidivdually, believe that Ginsberg's "Howl"'s aesthetic and rhetorical choices raise questions of marginalization in terms of race, gender, sexuality, socio-economic status or political affiliation. Not all, perhaps, but at least one or more? I am whittling down poems to use for part of my content exam and this one seems fitting, and non-generic.

I haven't read it.

You should start a poetry thread.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #597 on: April 01, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

I haven't read it.

You should start a poetry thread.

Indeed, though there may be one already.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #598 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
Pop quiz time again.

1) Hold your peace.
2) Say your peace.
3) Hold your piece.
4) Say your piece.

Which two are correct?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #599 on: April 02, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »
1) Hold your peace.
4) Say your piece.

I think.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.