love

Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126234 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #610 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
I've heard "[something] at windmills" used before, but tilting adds an extra bit of obscurity that I rather like.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #611 on: April 09, 2010, 03:13:59 AM »
Now go read Don Quixote!  It's the bee's knees!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #612 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
Oh, I've totes read it.

(did I do that right?)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #613 on: April 09, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »
Now go read Don Quixote!  It's the bee's knees!

pixote

It really is.

Oh, I've totes read it.

(did I do that right?)

I'm really not sure how to do it wrong.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
6. Bringing up Baby

That can't be right.  It just can't!

I haven't gone back to check those title capitalization rules, but is there one that makes an exception for a prepositional word like "up" when it's part of a verb ("to bring up")?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
2. Capitalize all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions ("as", "because", "although").

What's a subordinate conjunction again?  I'm hoping my loophole is here somewhere.

pixote

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
6. Bringing up Baby

That can't be right.  It just can't!

I haven't gone back to check those title capitalization rules, but is there one that makes an exception for a prepositional word like "up" when it's part of a verb ("to bring up")?

pixote

Hm. I usually just go by what the filmmakers/studio decided to do. IMDb has it as Bringing Up Baby. I looked at original posters, and they have the title in all caps, so it avoids the issue. Then there are these:

So, I'd say oad is right on, despite it looking weird.

However, with more modern films, you get other choices made:

Standard rules do not apply.

So, you're right too, pixote?

Idk. I just look up posters. /nerd

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
2. Capitalize all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions ("as", "because", "although").

What's a subordinate conjunction again?  I'm hoping my loophole is here somewhere.

pixote
This is how I describe a subordinate conjunction: a word (or phrase, too, I think) that joins two parts of a sentence that are unequal. I find it helpful to distinguish the subordinate conjunctions from the coordinating conjunctions (but, or, yet, so, for, and, nor) which ("which" or "that"? argh, I can never remember the rule) join parts of a sentence that are equal (eg. two subjects, Anna and Kara love movies; two independent clauses Anna loves movies, but Kara loves opera, etc.). If you replace the coordinating conjunction "but" with a subordinate conjunction - eg. Anna loves movies whereas Kara loves opera - one of the clauses, the latter, becomes subordinate to the other - one is an independent clause, one is dependent - unequal.

I don't think "up" is ever a subordinate conjunction? Always a preposition, I think.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
I don't think "up" is ever a subordinate conjunction? Always a preposition, I think.

It's not being used prepositionally there, though, is it?  It's part of a verb phrase.  Pretty please?

pixote

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
"Up" is an adverb because it answers the question where, as in bringing...bringing where?  up

Adverbs answer the questions where, when, why and how, how often, (more I can't recall).

Texan Down Under

love