Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126183 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #630 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:47 PM »
Ok I am catching some crap in this article I am writing.

Which is correct.

according to Sally, "the end is near."

"."
That one.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #631 on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
punctuation is always inside quotation marks. Unless you are using some bullcrap style that says otherwise.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #632 on: April 20, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »

Which is correct.

"."
That one.

Dammit now I own my girlfriend something pretty. I should know by now to not bet against her!

Thanks OAD and Sam.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #633 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:08 PM »
punctuation is always inside quotation marks. Unless you are using some bullcrap style that says otherwise.

Actually, this depends on which country you live in. In the US, punctuation is always inside the quotation marks, yes. In the UK/Australia, not necessarily so.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #634 on: April 20, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
'cept if the punctuation is a semicolon or a colon - those go outside the quote marks. :) See Purdue's OWL website.

Or unless you're using MLA format in-text citations (eg. Taylor writes, "the end is near" (165).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #635 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:33 PM »
'cept if the punctuation is a semicolon or a colon - those go outside the quote marks. :) See Purdue's OWL website.

Or unless you're using MLA format in-text citations (eg. Taylor writes, "the end is near" (165).
Yea, I was wondering about this right after I posted.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #636 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:26 PM »

Which is correct.

according to Sally, "the end is near".

"." or "".

Period inside the quotation mark.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:14 AM »

Actually, this depends on which country you live in. In the US, punctuation is always inside the quotation marks, yes. In the UK/Australia, not necessarily so.

I've never seen the full stop outside the inverted commas in Australia. Seems a bizarre sentence construction to begin a list (colon) after a quoted passage too.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »

I've never seen the full stop outside the inverted commas in Australia. Seems a bizarre sentence construction to begin a list (colon) after a quoted passage too.

Hmm. It's my understanding that, unless instructed to follow another style guide, Australians generally followed the UK rules. In the UK, a full stop occurs outside of the inverted commas, unless the quote is a fully set off sentence. Please excuse the following inane example.  Ex:  I decided to speak. 'I love you, Henry.' (vs) I decided to speak. I said, 'I love you, Henry'.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
Periods and commas go inside; colons and semi-colons go outside; and question marks and exclamation points go inside or outside, depending on whether or not they are part of the quotation.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love