Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126159 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #810 on: February 15, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
Yes, sorry, that's much better put. :-[
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #811 on: February 15, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
I thought the general rule of thumb was, when you read it back to yourself and you take a breath, you either put in a full stop, or a comma. No doubt you will be pouring over this message of mine, for punctuation and grammatical errors ::)

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
« Reply #812 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
I thought the general rule of thumb was, when you read it back to yourself and you take a breath, you either put in a full stop, or a comma. No doubt you will be pouring over this message of mine, for punctuation and grammatical errors ::)

WHERE'S THE PERIOD?
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #813 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
Yes, it is pedants' corner! Sorry.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #814 on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
The pause rule, or breath rule, for commas works about half of the time.  Commas, essentially, separate main parts of a sentence from lesser parts, so to use commas properly, you need to be able to identify the parts of a sentence and understand how those parts are working together.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #815 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
My understanding of punctuation is foggy at best. I go through what I've written to make sure it reads ok, but it's pretty much impossible to see your own writing with fresh eyes so this practice is probably worthless. I should make an effort to understand the rules of punctuation better.

Who's the best on the forum? I'll just pay particular attention to what they do and emulate it.
I disagree you can't reread your own writing with fresh eyes. It's more likely that you just don't want to, or can't be bothered.
I can be bothered, I promise you. I'm constantly rereading what I've written before posting it. I think what happens is that I read it so many times I stop recognizing the clumsiness. Without meaning to I grow accustomed to the ugliness. It's only 6 months later when I go back to reference it that I'm like "ugh, I could've phrased that better".  :-\

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #816 on: February 15, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
The pause rule, or breath rule, for commas works about half of the time.  Commas, essentially, separate main parts of a sentence from lesser parts, so to use commas properly, you need to be able to identify the parts of a sentence and understand how those parts are working together.

God, if I had a dollar for every time a nun drilled that line into me when I was back in school, I be retired rich right now. ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #817 on: February 15, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »
My understanding of punctuation is foggy at best. I go through what I've written to make sure it reads ok, but it's pretty much impossible to see your own writing with fresh eyes so this practice is probably worthless. I should make an effort to understand the rules of punctuation better.

Who's the best on the forum? I'll just pay particular attention to what they do and emulate it.
I disagree you can't reread your own writing with fresh eyes. It's more likely that you just don't want to, or can't be bothered.
I can be bothered, I promise you. I'm constantly rereading what I've written before posting it. I think what happens is that I read it so many times I stop recognizing the clumsiness. Without meaning to I grow accustomed to the ugliness. It's only 6 months later when I go back to reference it that I'm like "ugh, I could've phrased that better".  :-\

This scenario plays out for me also. Sometimes I reread something multiple times and never catch a mistake. But if I go back to it the next day, the mistake is glaring. This is why I never post a review I've written until the following day. I think it stems from the fact that the idea behind the sentence is still so fresh in my mind, that it blinds me to the possibility of it being wrong.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #818 on: February 15, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
God, if I had a dollar for every time a nun drilled that line into me when I was back in school, I be retired rich right now.
The nuns know.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Best Movies to Watch Instantly
« Reply #819 on: April 20, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
Rourkefest

That's the dirtiest sounding word I've heard in a while.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad