Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126299 times)

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #890 on: August 07, 2013, 08:42:02 PM »
Unless your workplace is still using typewriters with monospaced fonts, then yeah, no double-spacing. It's in the same category and splotching whiteout on your computer display.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #891 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
*Prays for a 9th season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and a sequence or episode that involves the Oxford comma*

Susie: "What the—Larry, why are you dressed like the devil?!"
Larry: "The invitation said, Please dress in red, white and blue. I went with the red option!"
Susie: "It's a 4th of July barbecue, you dumb CINECAST!! How many people you see here dressed in solid red?!"
Larry: "I'm proving a point: nobody respects the Oxford comma anymore."
Susie: "Oxford?! Oxford?! What the CINECAST! do you know about Oxford?! You went to the University of Maryland!"
Larry: "It's a term!"
Susie: "A term?! For what?! For ruining my barbecue?!"
Larry: "It's a term for the serial comma! If you wanted me to wear red, white, and blue, the invitation should have read, Please dress in red—comma—white—comma—and blue."
Jeff: "He has a point."
Susie: "What the CINECAST! do you know about commas?! You need Sammi's help reading the TV Guide! I'm done with this! Go check on the hot dogs. Try not to eat 'em all, you fat CINECAST!. And take Mr. Ketchup here with you..."

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #892 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
Hmm. I might have to sign up for HBO again.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #893 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »
My job would be notably easier if they didn't insist on two spaces after periods and colons.

And mock Larry's problem isn't the Oxford comma, it is not knowing the difference between and and or (and context clues). I'm mostly anti-Oxford.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #894 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »
And mock Larry's problem isn't the Oxford comma, it is not knowing the difference between and and or (and context clues).

Oh, he knows the difference. He's being obstinate, as is often his temperament.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #895 on: August 07, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
*Prays for a 9th season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and a sequence or episode that involves the Oxford comma*

Susie: "What the—Larry, why are you dressed like the devil?!"
Larry: "The invitation said, Please dress in red, white and blue. I went with the red option!"
Susie: "It's a 4th of July barbecue, you dumb CINECAST!! How many people you see here dressed in solid red?!"
Larry: "I'm proving a point: nobody respects the Oxford comma anymore."
Susie: "Oxford?! Oxford?! What the CINECAST! do you know about Oxford?! You went to the University of Maryland!"
Larry: "It's a term!"
Susie: "A term?! For what?! For ruining my barbecue?!"
Larry: "It's a term for the serial comma! If you wanted me to wear red, white, and blue, the invitation should have read, Please dress in red—comma—white—comma—and blue."
Susie: "What the CINECAST! do you know about commas?! You need Sammi's help reading the TV Guide! I'm done with this! Go check on the hot dogs. Try not to eat 'em all, you fat CINECAST!. And take Mr. Ketchup here with you..."

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #896 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »
It caused quite a stir at work today. Not since the "single or double space after a period debate" has the staff been so bitterly divided.
;D

"single or double space after a period debate"
I used to fight bitterly for the latter, but the downward trajectory of the progressing years has revealed it to be a lost cause: It's now a single-spaced world—double spaces are a luxury we can no longer afford.
Same, AAAutin. Alas for the double spaces of our youth.

Re: Curb. :D Yes, please.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #897 on: August 07, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
May I join you mañana? :D

AAAutin, that's some impressive PDQ script writing!

As for Oxford, I use too many commas as is, so he's out!

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #898 on: August 07, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

;D  ;D

I can picture Jeff's facial expression, and I can hear Susie's voice.  lmao.  Great stuff.

I was hoping you'd post something. 

In case you missed it and if you're all caught up with Breaking Bad, here's another joint by AAA: http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=5444.msg693856#msg693856
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #899 on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »
In other news on the wordy front, a new book from my uncle and his writing partner sister: Wretched Writing, a delightful compendium of truly awful writing.

(Although as the most recent episode of the Lexicon Valley podcast would have it, there's no such thing as awful and wrong in language.)