Author Topic: Words and Grammar and Stuff  (Read 126084 times)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Re: Words and Grammar and Stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
Yeah, definitely "y'all" doesn't work for a northerner unless you're a transplant from Texas. The term guys could be regional as well. Is it just Midwesterners using it or the whole nation?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
"You guys" is almost as bad as, "pop," or phonetically - and therefore, more nerve-gratingly - "paaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhp."

Ha ha. Chicago people are stupid.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
"You guys" is almost as bad as, "pop," or phonetically - and therefore, more nerve-gratingly - "paaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhp."

I don't know why, but whenever you make fun of the way Chicago people talk, I start laughing really really hard.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »

:)

big surprise, i try not to use "guys" and even irritate some lucky folks with clarifications - "she isn't a guy, is she?"  i tend to use folks, but y'all also works.  the teens i work with love making fun of my goofy language choices, but it is fantastic when they start using stuff :)

as far as "yo", maybe i'll give it a try.

ah, fun with language :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
skjerva, try "people" instead of "folks".  I've been in that situation where 7th graders hated "boys and girls" so I switched to "people".

Also, alexarch, "ya'll" is an elegant collective pronoun.   "All ya'll" is doubly wonderful.  My Aussie husband loves both terms and finds both very handy. 
Texan Down Under

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »
Dammit.  You were supposed to take the bait, get all angry and all, "Nuh-uh!"  And I'd be all like, "Yuh-huh!"  And then I'd like fly.  Like in a plane.  To Chicago.  And then I'd like sit on your head and fart.  And then like you'd give me a wedgie.  And then I'd like hit you in the kidney, causing serious renal failure.  And then you'd turn yellow.  And I'd be all, "HaHa!"  And then like you'd get out of the hospital and skin my cats alive and hang them from meat hooks in my apartment.  And then I'd like come into your classroom with a shotgun and blow the hands off the nearest teenager and carve out his eyes with a pairing knife.  And then like, you'd rape my sister and cut off her head.  And then I'd like realize how ridiculous this all was and I'd extend my hand to yours.  And we'd get a beer.  And we'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 04:58:27 PM »
skjerva, try "people" instead of "folks".  I've been in that situation where 7th graders hated "boys and girls" so I switched to "people".

Also, alexarch, "ya'll" is an elegant collective pronoun.   "All ya'll" is doubly wonderful.  My Aussie husband loves both terms and finds both very handy. 

i use "people" sometimes, the kids get a hoot out of that one, too :)

Dammit.  You were supposed to take the bait, get all angry and all, "Nuh-uh!"  And I'd be all like, "Yuh-huh!"  And then I'd like fly.  Like in a plane.  To Chicago.  And then I'd like sit on your head and fart.  And then like you'd give me a wedgie.  And then I'd like hit you in the kidney, causing serious renal failure.  And then you'd turn yellow.  And I'd be all, "HaHa!"  And then like you'd get out of the hospital and skin my cats alive and hang them from meat hooks in my apartment.  And then I'd like come into your classroom with a shotgun and blow the hands off the nearest teenager and carve out his eyes with a pairing knife.  And then like, you'd rape my sister and cut off her head.  And then I'd like realize how ridiculous this all was and I'd extend my hand to yours.  And we'd get a beer.  And we'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

lol
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
Wish I could use "ya'll" - it is really nice - I think I'd just feel too self-conscious. No one says it around here, and I'm not as daring as you, skjerva.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »
I use all y'all sometimes and get a lot of giggles directed at me because of it.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
Wish I could use "ya'll" - it is really nice - I think I'd just feel too self-conscious. No one says it around here, and I'm not as daring as you, skjerva.

surprise yourself, it is soooo fun!  try it in your next class!  everybody's doing it!  it feels good!

love