love

Author Topic: Sam Runs an eBay Store  (Read 56 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
Sam Runs an eBay Store
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:58:20 PM »
I go back and forth on making this thread but I feel like enough is happening on a weekly basis now that it'd be fun to share my developments. No, I won't share a link to my store here as I'm not soliciting for sales here. I'm not taking money from friends (unless you want to support my website, but you can find that elsewhere and I'm not advertising it here). I want to share the process.

Chronicling some of the stuff in video form over on my YouTube.

I started selling stuff seriously on eBay on 1/25/21. I might share numbers at this point but for now I'd just say it's enough for me to pay basic expenses and have some leftover money while living with my parents and not paying rent/utilities. Given a few more months and I'll certainly be making more than I did at any contract job I've done in the past two years.
"It's all research." -roujin

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Sam Runs an eBay Store
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
Today I decided to get a shelving unit for my inventory because space was getting crazy. This is what it looks like now:

I did pick up a copy of The Brown Bunny today for a dollar. Goes for about $50 on eBay.
Already sold for $40. I could have maybe held out for $10 but I try to not get too stingy on items where I'm already making an exorbitant profit.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:01:20 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:12 PM »
FLY would say always squeeze out what you can. Could have sold my Yeezy soot slides for $400 ez, but held firm at $500. Tbh I probably should have tried $550 or $600, but with new colors hitting end of April I expect the ones out there to take a hit.

About to try eBay myself, actually, as I look to trim down on some Amiibo and things to make room.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:40:59 PM »
A difference between $30 and $40 profit isn't that great when you spent $1 to buy the initial item. But yea, with more expensive items you probably want to hold out and get a decent return. I'm basically getting back 5x what I put into any product I buy in profit after shipping/fees. But I'm also buying stuff on the low-end where you're going to have to have a bigger inventory to make a livable wage. I'm already nearing 250 listings and I'm hoping to be at 400 by the end of March.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 07:07:26 PM »
Well the slides only retail at $55, but knowing that stimulus checks went out and the weather was changing, things lined up to hold longer until I hit my price. The margin on others I've found is not very good, though I pretty much just seek out shoes as a hobby and sell with the intention of buying ones I want that I am unable to get at launch.

The Amiibo just take up a lot of space. Was fun, but time to clear out.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »