Author Topic: Politics  (Read 206283 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Politics
« Reply #5990 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
From an episode of The Simpsons that aired in 2010:

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5991 on: October 26, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »
Seems like every day I read something that further convinces me that the world would be better off without humans on it:

'I hope someone truly shoots you': online conspiracy theorists harass Vegas victims
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/26/las-vegas-shooting-conspiracy-theories-social-media
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #5992 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
Ehh, I think there's both good and bad in humanity. Plenty of great advances continue to make quality of life better for people throughout the world even as systems of abuse and control grow in scope. I think media just focuses on the bad stuff because it's more attention-grabbing.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5993 on: October 26, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
The same happened to parents of victims of the Sandy Hook shooting:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/02/sandy-hook-school-hoax-massacre-conspiracists-victim-father

An interesting read is Jon Ronson "So You've Been Publicly Shamed," not really focused so much on these conspiracy theories but how these mass shamings gather momentum and blow up for mostly innocent acts or postings.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5994 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
Ehh, I think there's both good and bad in humanity. Plenty of great advances continue to make quality of life better for people throughout the world even as systems of abuse and control grow in scope. I think media just focuses on the bad stuff because it's more attention-grabbing.

As a species, I think both "good" and "bad" humans have been harmful to the planet. Even going back to the earliest humans, I'm not convinced we've ever had a positive impact on our environment. We've just gotten a little better at cleaning up our messes.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #5995 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #5996 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Here's a much better title for that article:

Democrats so Incompetent They Sell Their Own Party, No One Realises
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5997 on: November 02, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
Citing this as proof that the process was rigged or changed the outcome of the primary is laughable to me. In never cites any actual action or decision that would have affected a single vote, much less effected a 20% swing.

I wish it had a bit more on the finances side of things because everything else I've seen is that Clinton did far more fundraising for downballot candidates than Sanders (who we should point out also had a joint fundraising agreement). The article provides very little clarity on this point. She likely helped them fundraise directly more than Sanders, EVEN if her joint fundraising wasn't making it to the states like it was supposed to.

But I do buy the general aspect of incompetence and inefficiency at the DNC.

I'm gonna be so annoyed if Sanders runs again in 2020. We need to stop with the freaking baby boomers.

ETA: Had time to read more about this and it is straight hit job on Clinton. Completely misrepresented what happened.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:06:59 AM by Bondo »

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #5998 on: November 03, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
I second what Bondo said, except the parts I don't know about.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5999 on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
The only real takeaway there is that Debbie Wasserman Schultz remains a pretty horrible person.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

love