love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511234 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Politics
« Reply #6000 on: July 14, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
I miss his conservative cousin, but Colbert had one of his best lines in a while the other night, discussing all the Trump Jr. news:

“He's right. Hindsight is 20/20. And I think a lot of voters will be using hindsight in 2020.”

I'm surprised there aren't already yard signs touting Hindsight in the next Presidential election.

pixote
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:45:41 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6001 on: August 14, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
Reading an Alan Moore graphic novel is more enjoyable than living in one.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6002 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
You weren't kidding. In a movie today's impromptu bullshit would be the end of the evil politician. We'll see if reality has something crazier in store. I'd guess yes.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6003 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
Trump is a black hole. There is no escape while he just sucks in all that we've done as a nation and as human beings.

The outrage is dampened by fatigue from this being only his most recent actions.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6004 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »
Trump is a black hole. There is no escape while he just sucks in all that we've done as a nation and as human beings.

The outrage is dampened by fatigue from this being only his most recent actions.

I'll believe it when we see it. This whole campaign is filled with moments where you'd think this surely will lose Trump votes, and then he only seems to be stronger afterward.

Still applies I fear. I think we are getting closer to Republicans and past supporters standing up against this horrible man, but I also don't think we are quite there yet, unfortunately.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6005 on: August 16, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
As horrendous as this all is, I feel like it's unmasking a lot of the dirty underbelly of Republicans that has been brewing for years. Now where we go as a nation from here is what remains to be seen.

My dream idea is that both Republicans and Democrats split and we get out of this bipartisan rut that is turning the nation into this us vs. them mentality where we fail to find common ground or fail to consider discourse, debate, and compromise as a healthy part of our political system.

The healthcare legislation could have legitimately looked at fixing issues with The Affordable Care Act, but instead was a nuclear option that certain Republican leaders tried to ram through the system instead of having a healthy discourse about the bill and try to actually come up with something that wasn't a bad joke.

And then there's just the general political discourse and the fact that the news is trying to normalize how unacceptable Trump's behavior is. More than anything else, I think that is going to be the most damaging part of this presidency: a world leader validating a type of discourse I wouldn't tolerate in my social circles. And yet he's the leader of America.

The whole thing has led to a lot of discouraged and disillusioned conservatives who are growing more and more disgusted with the Republican party. I hope there's a split but I fear that too many Republicans worry that a split now will mean losing to Democrats in the short term and won't address the festering disease that has tainted the party and will only lead to more incidents like Charlottesville.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6006 on: August 18, 2017, 04:22:56 AM »
My dream idea is that both Republicans and Democrats split and we get out of this bipartisan rut that is turning the nation into this us vs. them mentality where we fail to find common ground or fail to consider discourse, debate, and compromise as a healthy part of our political system.

The healthcare legislation could have legitimately looked at fixing issues with The Affordable Care Act, but instead was a nuclear option that certain Republican leaders tried to ram through the system instead of having a healthy discourse about the bill and try to actually come up with something that wasn't a bad joke.

Didn't Obama basically push through the ACA through on a completely partisan vote?  In hindsight, it probably would have been better to have worked out something that had some Republican supporters as it seems to have completely removed any ability to work together on healthcare going forward.  It is a bit amusing now that they could repeal/repeal or replace, they haven't given it would not be vetoed. 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6007 on: August 18, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
The vote was definitely split along party lines but there were numerous hearings and public discussions where GOP was able to give input.
Hey, nice marmot!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6008 on: August 18, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
The Republican Party is the guy who gets hired to make a website, complains about how he can't do his job properly, the one who hired him does all the work to set everything up and to make his job as easy as possible, but he still doesn't do anything and you still don't have a website. 

I wish people would stop listening to them talk and see what they (don't) do.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6009 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
From an episode of The Simpsons that aired in 2010:

love