love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511158 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »
Dem VP:  I can live with Evan Bayh, though I've always had a soft spot for Joe Biden.

I liked Biden until the Alberto Gonzales confirmation hearings...he was an obvious suck up. 

Yeah, that and the hair plugs...
Texan Down Under

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2008, 06:44:42 PM »
I just remember Biden saying: "I like you, you're the real deal."

Gave me the big wiggins...(as you watch more Buffy saltine, you'll understand that)
Hey, nice marmot!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »
 ;D
Texan Down Under

ba571418

« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »
On the vice president...
I'm always exhausted by the whole veep frenzy every election cycle. It's a self-perpetuating thing - campaigns want something for which they can get press and the media wants something it can cover - there's not much actual news there.
A VP choice can only hurt you - say if the guy turns out to have a love child (did someone say John Edwards?) or if he holds some position that angers the one-issue people. What region the VP comes from, his experience, and all that other stuff that gets considered (and covered) in the choice doesn't actually matter - people vote for the guy at the top of the ticket. The best VP candidate is the guy who doesn't hurt you - that's it.

On "socialized" medicine...
I just listened to this health series on NPR and I learned that countries like France actually don't have socialized medicine. The reporter said that the French detest socialized medicine (like Great Britain's system) - most French insurance funds are private entities managed by employer and union federations. The French demand and get lots of choice when it comes to health care (house visits!). Germany's health care system is part non-profit insurance and part well-regulated private insurance (for the self-employed).

My rant...
By the way, all this laissez-faire ecomonic bullshit that libertarians and republicans throw around is so CINECAST!ing annoying. Look at our economy - our government CINECAST!ing controls interest rates, it controls the amount of money in circulation. You can't take the government out of our economy because 1) the government helps to control the value of our currency for better or worse and 2) see: mortgage/credit crisis; deregulation leads to formerly safe banking institutions (not even investment banks) getting into gambling, otherwise known as derivatives, and into buying retarded-ass bundled i-can't-even-afford-a-pot-to-piss-in mortgages

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
veepstakes almost at a close.

ob-y to announce before sat (unless phelps wins another medal) but the pick is in.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
So I just listened to a description of mccains health care plan... and all I can say is wtf!!
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
Dem VP:  I can live with Evan Bayh, though I've always had a soft spot for Joe Biden.

I liked Biden until the Alberto Gonzales confirmation hearings...he was an obvious suck up. 

You were so right Saltine...

I am having such a hard time with this pick...Biden is so....so...establishment.
Hey, nice marmot!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

You were so right Saltine...

I am having such a hard time with this pick...Biden is so....so...establishment.

you should totally vote McCain then. ;D

love