Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511057 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »
Being a POW is not a qualification for President in my book.
Hey, nice marmot!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »

Neither is a lack of accomplishments.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
This is all very strange. I'm trying to imagine an election in Britain with people saying they might vote for one guy because he was a POW, and others saying they'll vote for another because he wants 'change'.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »

Neither is a lack of accomplishments.

Neither is being a doddering old fool who recently turned his back on everything he previously built his political life on and embraced corporate handouts, the evangelical right, George Bush's inane policies - need I go on?
The man will do anything to get elected and I'll take Obama'a perceived lack of accomplishments over someone who is so willing to sell his own integrity. A man who's own campaign has nothing better to say than "Obama is too popular to be President".

This is all very strange. I'm trying to imagine an election in Britain with people saying they might vote for one guy because he was a POW, and others saying they'll vote for another because he wants 'change'.

And yes you are right Wowser - it would be nice to here some discussion on substantive issues. But this is American politics where we worship at the altar of celebrity while wallowing in the filth of sensationalism. Candidates don't talk about issues, they sling mud or speak vague generalisms. Well, Obama's generalisms are far better than the status quo - I can't take 4 more years of the rich getting richer while leaving everyone else behind under the guise of a free market economy - there is no free market when you have corporate lobbyists in bed with every level of government making sure the dice roll their way.  There is strict "oversight" at all levels of the economy and it's all slanted to put us under the thumb of those with $$.
At this point - even "change" looks better than that.
Hey, nice marmot!

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
Yeah, I like the guy. But I do worry that I'm getting swayed by the cult of personality. But I do think he may end up like Bill Clinton: before the election he promises wonders, yet the night he gets in the White House, those around him say, 'none of this can be achieved; you'll just have to do as we say'. Which is what happened to Clinton.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »

And yes you are right Wowser - it would be nice to here some discussion on substantive issues. But this is American politics where we worship at the altar of celebrity while wallowing in the filth of sensationalism. Candidates don't talk about issues, they sling mud or speak vague generalisms.

Actually, we have that in Britain too.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
Yes, but we also have a discussion of the issues in Britain, though that can get a bit lost in discussions of side-partings, the age of certain Lib Dem leaders and our Prime Minister's satorial holiday choices... (Actually, point taken.)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
well neither of them can actually deliver what they are promising.  Iraq will kick us out in 3 more years (so much for mccain's 100 year plan), obama has no money to fund nationalized healthcare, they BOTH say whatever it takes to get elected - you didn;t find Obama's massive swing to the center alamring right after he clinched the dem's nod? he's as fake and phoney as anyone in DC but since he is lacks any substance whatsoever people can just read their own longing's and hopes into him - he's quite good at letting this happen.  You should never vote for anyone who wants to be president as they will at somepoint have compromised their integrity to do so.  Its the nature of the beast and an awful and ugly one it is.

that being said i see the fact that mccain has a track record in his pre-seeking days of doing what he wanted, consequences be damned. so franlky I believe at this point that once he does get elected he'll go right back to being that person who doesn't play the game but who has no problem working with everyone to get something, anything done.  Obama is the dem's version of Bush.  He doesn't know what he's doing but is gonna get elected anyway because the electorate is a bunch of infantile dim wits who vote on their feeling and want to have beers with the president or want him to look like them or speak like them or believe in the same thing they do.  I don;t care how you speak, what ya look like or what you believe in, just how you plan on governing this country - and the only predictor of that is prior performance.  

Now we can have 12 straight years of on the job training cuz its easy to turn you back when you don't have a front.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:38:11 PM by _Keith_ »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »
so franlky I believe at this point that once he does get elected he'll go right back to being that person who doesn't play the game but who has no problem working with everyone to get something, anything done.

now who's projecting their own hopes and longings?

He doesn't know what he's doing but is gonna get elected anyway because the electorate is a bunch of infantile dim wits who vote on their feeling and want to have beers with the president or want him to look like them or speak like them or believe in the same thing they do.

I don't want to have a beer with president, nor do I want him to be affable, friendly, cordial or speak like me - I want the smartest guy in the room and quite frankly McCain isn't the one. But I do want someone who believes in what I believe - that's the essence of politics and what I believe is that for the last 8 years my rights have been effectively cut, people who far more money than me pay less taxes proportionately and I am stuck in a job that I really don't like because I need health care and I can't afford it if I go it alone and work as an independent contractor.
Now someone comes along that wants to create an affordable National Health Care plan that is composed of private insurance companies with a watchdog group in oversight. You can't possibly say that health care as it stands in this country is working?
I will take my chances with someone who is willing to change.
If he lets me down so be it but at least I know I didn't vote for someone who represents the same self-serving interests as George Bush - that would be McCain in case you weren't sure.

Let's just agree to disagree because you will never convince me and I won't convince you and in 2 yrs let's come back to this thread and see who was right(er). ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
so franlky I believe at this point that once he does get elected he'll go right back to being that person who doesn't play the game but who has no problem working with everyone to get something, anything done.

now who's projecting their own hopes and longings?

haha yeah i know - for me the best choice in this race to vote for a ghost that for president 8 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:01:41 AM by _Keith_ »

love