love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511164 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »
Wrong, they are that idiotic.  And Junior is definitely, and kind of sadly, right, the Daily Show and Colbert Report offer some of the only insightful political news in the US.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
ok--- i figure i'll put out there the subjects that have helped me arrive at my decision on who to vote for

1) Science funding/understanding. I'm a scientist who saw funding tank on important projects because of lack of funding during the bush presidency. There are many examples of when politicians screw up because they don't understand what something can be used for so they don't want to fund it, so someone who spreads misinformation (even if they don't know it as such) gets me peeved.   
2) Health care - mccains health care proposal made a bit of smoke come out of my ears
3) Katrina - yes the hurricane, ... I remember watching mccain give a talk just outside new orleans on a campaign stop and completely misspeak about his voting record in support of new orleans post-katrina. His voting record speaks for itself on this one. Maybe I'm bitter, but this is top in my head this week as tomorrow is a bad anniversary for me and many of my friends and family are even now preparing to evacuate for gustav. Politics shouldn't have played a role in the response, but I don't know anyone down there who had the same view of the administration after the hurricane as they did before.
4) Oil/Gas - Only one of the candidates pointed out that a gas tax holiday was not a viable solution... the economists all pointed out that it wouldn't really effect things, but it sure did make good sound bites.
5) Going negative, I really resent the first person to come out with the negative ad. I understand that there is always going to be some amount of negativity as one candidate or their supporters tries to separate themselves, but I just don't like it!
6) Age - now this is the one I'm least proud of... but I've seen the changes in my father the last few years (dad is less than a year older than mccain). They even have had similar health track records. I should say my father is still one of the smartest men I have ever met, but he doesn't multi-task like he used too. Now I'll admit my dad not multi-tasking as much and not having the same energy doesn't necessarily translate, but I can't help but worry.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:15:07 PM by lise »
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »
6) Age

Really, that could be my number 1.  I honestly do think McCain is too old to be President, and I'm taking into account how vigorous he seems at this moment.  Adding four years to his present age is really something to consider, in my opinion.  I've had enough of the "surrogate" President.  I want to elect the man who serves as President, not stands in as President, while someone I didn't elect pulls the strings.

Texan Down Under

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
I should have said they weren't in order... because while 1 is 1 for me 2 is actually probably 6.

I remember growing up outside dc during the reagan years... both my parents worked for the DOD and maybe because of this I heard more of the stories than other people. Reagan would read the wrong speach, or just read it out of order. His age was definitely catching up to him. I don't want someone in office who is still a great front person, but can't keep track of all the plates spinning in the air anymore.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
He seems n pretty good physical/mental shape for 72, so for me age would not be an issue.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »
Yeah but it can go downhill pretty fast at that age.
Hey, nice marmot!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
What about 76?  What about 80?

I say this because I also feel like we need an 8-year Presidency, given the complexity of issues etc.  A person approaching 76? 80? should not be President.  Everyone loses a step or two as they age, everyone...
Texan Down Under

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
If you met my dad (at 72 right now) you would say he's all good. He still teaches, takes classes, does weird mathematical models for fun, but if you saw him 2 years ago you would see he is slowing down... and the rate he's slowing isn't linear. I'm not worried about mccain at 73 or 74, but like saltine I worry about the latter years of his presidency. 

that said... this isn't my top criteria. For instance if it were a choice between mccain and the current bush... my choice would be mccain. Luckily that isn't the choice i have to make. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:22:23 PM by lise »

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
Yeah, and also I'd rule McCain out on the grounds of that corny book his daughter wrote. PUKE!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
I say this because I also feel like we need an 8-year Presidency, given the complexity of issues etc.  A person approaching 76? 80? should not be President.  Everyone loses a step or two as they age, everyone...

actually i'd rather have a new guy every 4 years - they seem to get more accomplished when they think there is a possibility of being held accountable to the voters on the horizon (this goes for the senate and anyone serving more than 2 terms in the house as well)

love