Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511282 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily paint her as very conservative... a solid conservative most definitely, but I really wouldn't put her on the fringe either, despite her very rigid stance against abortion (it is only one issue after all). She's actually been fairly moderate in some of her viewpoints, particularly in her efforts to curb oil usage and signing a bill into law implementing same-sex benefits. Very good pick in my opinion, balances out the age concerns with McCain, satisfies the base, and steals some of the thunder of Obama's historic candidacy. I think Palin helps McCain considerably more than Biden helps Obama (who I really felt should have gone with Tim Kaine).

Please - here's why they picked her plain and simple - when she goes on the attack against Obama (and she will) the Dems will be forced to paint a picture of a black man attacking a white woman...once again it's a subtle jab at the race issue.
She has even less qualifications than Obama (according to the GOP) to lead and with McCain age - do you really want this untested person leading our country?
Hey, nice marmot!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »
That's why Obama won't be attacking her at all.  Hillary is free to be as mean as she wants to be (and I have a feeling there's some anger built up in her) and they are going to let her loose on Palin.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
sarah palin?

--- very conservative ---

Her?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
It's actually pretty funny watching CNN right now.  They know so little about her they just keep listing her favorite foods and activities.  It's like listening to a small town beauty contestant bio.

I don't think this will work out well for the McCain camp, but then again, after the last election I always expect to be supremely disappointed.

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily paint her as very conservative... a solid conservative most definitely, but I really wouldn't put her on the fringe either, despite her very rigid stance against abortion (it is only one issue after all). She's actually been fairly moderate in some of her viewpoints, particularly in her efforts to curb oil usage and signing a bill into law implementing same-sex benefits. Very good pick in my opinion, balances out the age concerns with McCain, satisfies the base, and steals some of the thunder of Obama's historic candidacy. I think Palin helps McCain considerably more than Biden helps Obama (who I really felt should have gone with Tim Kaine).

Please - here's why they picked her plain and simple - when she goes on the attack against Obama (and she will) the Dems will be forced to paint a picture of a black man attacking a white woman...once again it's a subtle jab at the race issue.
She has even less qualifications than Obama (according to the GOP) to lead and with McCain age - do you really want this untested person leading our country?

That makes sense really.

I just thought that it was so they could nab the rabid Hilary supporters.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
It's like listening to a small town beauty contestant bio.

She was the Miss Alaska runner-up. . .

Seriously, I'm flabbergasted by this.  Can they seriously believe that Hillary's supporters are so rabidly feminist that they'd vote for McCain so this woman can be VP?  How can the Hillary people be anything but insulted by this choice?  I imagine Obama is right now promising Hillary Secretary Of State or Supreme Court Justice in exchange for tearing Palin limb from limb.

What could their rationale possibly be?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »
black man vs white woman
Hey, nice marmot!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »

That makes sense really.

I just thought that it was so they could nab the rabid Hilary supporters.

It is also an attempt to snatch up disaffected Hillary supporters and a shallow one at that.  To imply that Palin is a worthy substitute for Hillary is to do Hillary's lifelong career going toe to toe with the most powerful people in America and around the world a disservice.  I can't find the numbers, but I would guess that the 13th District that Obama represented in the Illinois State Senate has more constituents than the entire state of Alaska (I'm not bashing Alaska, it's a great state, it just has a tiny population).

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
black man vs white woman

More famous, smarter, meaner white woman vs. white woman.

Obama won't say anything mean about anyone.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
I mean, can they possibly think women who had devoted so much time, energy and hope to a woman they had admired and supported for years would just immediately shift to Palin because she's female?

To answer my own question: obviously they do.

It's like listening to a small town beauty contestant bio.
She was the Miss Alaska runner-up. . .

That's priceless. 

If McCain/Palin win you know there's going to be a movie staring Reese Witherspoon made about a plucky young Republican who brought some good ol' small town common sense to the big bad world of international politics.  Oh wait...