Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511240 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »
It's really depressing just the way she talks - the kind of language she uses. Eurgh... For the sake of the world, I hope she doesn't get in.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
black man vs white woman

Even as cynical as I am, I think the idea that the McCain camp chose her for this reason is absolutely and completely ridiculous.

I also think it's incredibly hypocritical that, at least from my understanding of several criticisms, many seem to be insulted that McCain picked a woman as his running mate. For years people have been complaining that the Republican party always trotted out stodgy, old Protestant white men. So now they pick a woman, and suddenly they're accused of being condescending and sexist. How does that work?

It seems people are also trying to have it both ways with the experience argument. Palin is just as experienced as Obama, in fact she has actual experience in the executive branch of the government, which Obama does not. The Republicans obviously can't have it both ways either, and with the Palin announcement they have to own up to the fact that they were wrong about Obama's supposed "lack of experience" (something a party which endlessly feels the need to remind us is the "Party of Lincoln" really should hbutave avoided in the first place), but that doesn't mean the Democrats suddenly have clearance to blast her resume for being a heartbeat away from the presidency when their candidate, who will be IN the presidency, doesn't have a lengthier one.

Finally, I fail to see the argument that Palin was chosen just because she was a woman. There are numerous women in the Republican party with higher profiles than her (Jane Swift and Olympia Snowe come to mind). When you look at the slate of VP candidates, I think she was really the best available (actually, I'd probably consider her neck-and-neck with Pawlenty). Mitt Romney is divisive and incapable of seeming authentic, he gives off that used car salesman vibe. Plus it seems he and McCain just don't get along well. Huckabee is charismatic but remains stuck in the stone age (well, if he thought the stone age existed) and is far too conservative for independent voters. Ridge and Guiliani's support of abortion rights was never going to fly with the conservative base. Pawlenty would have been a good match, and he might have been able to deliver Minnesota (and I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him personally, he's a nice personable guy), though he's not the greatest campaigner and in public can seem a little bland, it would be hard for the base to get excited about him, which leaves it a toss-up between him and Palin. She had the most strengths and the fewest flaws of any of McCain's choices, and that's why she was picked. To say it's just to lure women voters is just yet another gross oversimplification in a presidential campaign that has already been drastically oversimplified.

My apologies for being longwinded. If you read the whole diatribe, you get an 'attaboy (or an 'attagirl).
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
The Bush adim itself was actually quite progressive in terms of the sex/race of the people it brought in. Even I quite liked Colin Powell, despite the fact that he was unable to pronounce his name.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily paint her as very conservative... a solid conservative most definitely, but I really wouldn't put her on the fringe either, despite her very rigid stance against abortion (it is only one issue after all). She's actually been fairly moderate in some of her viewpoints, particularly in her efforts to curb oil usage and signing a bill into law implementing same-sex benefits. Very good pick in my opinion, balances out the age concerns with McCain, satisfies the base, and steals some of the thunder of Obama's historic candidacy. I think Palin helps McCain considerably more than Biden helps Obama (who I really felt should have gone with Tim Kaine).

Please - here's why they picked her plain and simple - when she goes on the attack against Obama (and she will) the Dems will be forced to paint a picture of a black man attacking a white woman...once again it's a subtle jab at the race issue.
She has even less qualifications than Obama (according to the GOP) to lead and with McCain age - do you really want this untested person leading our country?

now where did this cynicism come from ;D

Not that the VP choice ever matters (does anyone here actually take the botttom of the ticket into consideration?, and why)but now i think they are pretty even on most fronts as a ticket, 2 old white guys, two "historic firsts", two people without a track record, two with a massively long one. 

I love and all Marty but yr racial assertions are WAYYYYY off base.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »
It seems to be like each party's selling a new dishwasher tablet, and they have to compete on 'features'.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
Huckabee is charismatic but remains stuck in the stone age (well, if he thought the stone age existed)

;D

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
It seems to be like each party's selling a new dishwasher tablet, and they have to compete on 'features'.

But who has more cup holders.  The studies all say that women only choose the cars with the most cup holders. ::)

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
Which is silly. I choose cars based on how BIG the cup holder is.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
Which is silly. I choose cars based on how BIG the cup holder is.

You have no argument with me.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
I find Obama's self deprecating snippets amusing: when he says he has a 'funny name' he really means 'my name sounds Islamic'. Surely.