love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511235 times)

lise

• Elite Member
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm not angry at all he picked a woman... I just don't like palin. I honestly thought he would pick christine todd whitman.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
I'm not angry at all he picked a woman... I just don't like palin. I honestly thought he would pick christine todd whitman.

I would love to see CTW on a ticket.  I can really get behind her "Its My Party Too" PAC.  That said, the Alaskan librarian streak goes over quite well with me.

Has there ever been two candidates on the same ticket from west of the Rockies before?

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #282 on: August 29, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
My racial assretions are very much on target and to those of you who poo poo them - get your head out of the sand.

Ask anyone - ask Colleen how much race affects what she does, I know it affects my job everyday. It's here - most of you choose to ignore it.

Racism - whether overt or implied is going to play a HUGE part of this campaign and the GOP is just dirty enough to push those levers. Race affects our daily life - this isn't cynicsim, this is common sense. Perhaps you like to think your party is too noble not play those cards in the race for the highest office in the land but after the last two elections full of needless fear mongering and saber rattling I don't put anything past them. Aside from that - McCain's proven track record of being willing to to do anything to court whoever will bring him votes smacks of dirty tricks in the making.

And yes - the VP does matter when the candidate is a banana peel away from the grave. Recurring melanoma, 72 already? It's not out of the question that he could kick off and she could end up running the country.

Try as you may - your lame attempts at equating her experience with that of Obama's don't hold water.  He has been in the national spotlight since the last convention - while his international experience may be limited, hers is nil. There is no comparison with either Obama or Biden. She couldn't hold their jock under any circumstances.
Hey, nice marmot!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »
She couldn't hold their jock under any circumstances.

I agree with you that the race card is being played subtly and not so subtly by the Republicans and that race is still a huge issue that many like to believe has been resolved.  However, your last comment opens the door to another issue that is often swept under the rug or poo poo'd: sexism. 

I'm in total agreement with you that Palin isn't a viable candidate to hold one of the most powerful positions in the world based on her experience (and there's no comparison between her experience and Obama's), but please keep this thread a healthy political debate and don't resort to statements like the one above.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
I'd say the same thing if she was a guy and had the same qualifications - there was nothing sexist in that statement. It's a sports metaphor - familiar with those?
Hey, nice marmot!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #285 on: August 29, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »
Try as you may - your lame attempts at equating her experience with that of Obama's don't hold water.  He has been in the national spotlight since the last convention - while his international experience may be limited, hers is nil. There is no comparison with either Obama or Biden. She couldn't hold their jock under any circumstances.

being a celebrity does not equate to experience. (hows that for a fox news talking point.)

i never said the GOP was my party, I said CTW's PAC is inspiring.  And her executive experience is 2 years - his is nil.

And as for my head in the sand - at least I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.  I have no messiah in this race. I just think its now more a decision between which kind of bread I'd like my turd sandwich on rather than between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. Don't tell me that Obama hasn't included double speak aimed at blacks (like Dubya did with the christies) even as he professes that he's transcending it - I heard it last night.  I never said that race won''t play a role.  I said that these outrageous black man white woman paralells yr making are completely off base.  Mostly because as has been pointed out - he's not going to attack her. And from what i've seen so far today she's an attack dog in her own right so i'm really looking forward to the VP debate to watch two pitbulls go at it.

The selling of hope I find more disgusting than a guy playing the game the way it needs to be played.  It is sick and wrong.  Let the scales fall and see Obama for what he is - another dirty politician who will put out there whatever he has to to get elected. Look at the way he became a state senator - his hands are not clean and he is not change. So who do I vote for - am I a cynical optimist and go for the bad liar thinking that it can't last or the good liar - thanks, but I'd rather not be a soulless monster.  

Think_Long

« Reply #286 on: August 29, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
The '08 US Presidential Election is heating up. Time to have a dedicated place to talk about it and other things going down in the political arena.

1 Rule: PLAY NICE!

let's keep this discussion to observation rather than persuasion

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
Well, I think this ends my foray outside the movie related threads on this board.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »
Can someone explain what GOP means?

Think_Long

« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
from wikipedia, believe what you will. sort of interesting linguistically:

The party's founding members chose the name "Republican Party" in the mid-1850s in part as an homage to Thomas Jefferson (it was the name initially used by his party).[47][48] The name echoed the 1776 republican values of civic virtue and opposition to aristocracy and corruption.[49] The term "Grand Old Party" is a traditional nickname for the Republican Party, and the initialism "G.O.P." is a commonly used designation. According to the Republican Party, the term "gallant old party" was used in 1875.[50] According to the Oxford English Dictionary the first known reference to the Republican Party as the "grand old party" came in 1876. The first use of the abbreviation G.O.P. is dated 1884. Some media have stopped using the term GOP because they think it's confusing.[51] In 2008, the new Washington state top two primary had Republican candidates competing against GOP candidates in the same races.[52][53] It is the second-oldest continuing political party in the United States.

love