Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511212 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
Is anyone siding with Gore Vidal on Obama?

what's the story?

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »
So I'm kinda thinking that McCain is taking a dive.  My theory: he really is a "maverick", and he was so outraged at the Rove wing of the GOP that he's made it his mission to dismantle the party from within.  To do this, he's had to sublimate his natural charm and political instincts and beliefs and adopt this persona of crazy old wing nut crank.

In this context, his VP choice makes perfect sense.  Why else would you pick a VP candidate that negates your best argument against your opponent while simultaneously alienating the very subgroup you've spent the last month targeting?  He's setting the GOP up for an electoral disaster it'll take decades to recover from.

If he pulls this off, he deserves a statue.  Destroying his own reputation, career and legacy for the betterment of the American people: that truly is heroism.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
from moveon.org:

Yesterday was John McCain's 72nd birthday. If elected, he'd be the oldest president ever inaugurated. And after months of slamming Barack Obama for "inexperience," here's who John McCain has chosen to be one heartbeat away from the presidency: a right-wing religious conservative with no foreign policy experience, who until recently was mayor of a town of 9,000 people.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
Hmmm...Do you think maybe he's planning to climb up into the rafters at this week's convention and shoot Dubya, Cheney and the rest?

Now, John, pay attention to the cards...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:51:07 PM by Thor »
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »
not that i have a problem with people being religious.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
Is anyone siding with Gore Vidal on Obama?

what's the story?

That a Republican smear campaign will prevent him from taking the premier.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #316 on: August 30, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
here's the thing, i don't think McCain is some old guy loosing his mind but he is 72 & has had numerous problems with skin cancer. if he goes Palin is going to run the country? I'm not saying i think he will die soon it's just scary.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #317 on: August 30, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
here's the thing, i don't think McCain is some old guy loosing his mind but he is 72 & has had numerous problems with skin cancer. if he goes Palin is going to run the country? I'm not saying i think he will die soon it's just scary.

She was the mayor of MiddleofNowhere Alaska, and a governor for a couple years.  She is utterly unqualified to run the country but still much more qualified than Obama since her two years of running something semi important were executive while his were legislative.  Besides she is running for president in waiting while Obama is running for president.  Attacking Palins expirience while supporting Obama is just stupid.

It is bloody hillarious to read feminist blogs where they try to explain why this working mother of five is not a REAL woman, let alone a feminist.  Real funny stuff.  Since the goal of politics in general is to entertain me, I am enjoying this cycle. 
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #318 on: August 30, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »
ok... the was a quote from the AP of her in Pennsylvania saying it was nice to see a different part of the country and one that said she didn't really know what the VP job did...

question 1) not just has she ever traveled abroad, but has she ever traveled at all?

question 2) does she understand the constitution and separation of powers or does she judge based on our current vp

and off topic

she had a child a few months ago at 43 or 44... and she has admitted to being anti-abortion even in cases of rape and incest... does she believe in birth control?

Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Palin's an idiot: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/08/mccains-vp-want.html

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of education. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

There IS no debate: one's scientific fact, one's utter bollocks.

The pair of them look like daytime TV chat show hosts. They are not world leaders.