Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511018 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »
Sure, I'm just wondering how fictional he thinks the "financial crisis" is.

I don't think it's he's blind to the situation...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

This crisis was predicted long ago - it seems to be that we are a reactionary society and anything even resembling a proactive stance gets labled a knee-jerk reaction to a non-existent crisis or doomsaying.

No worries though - we will bail out wall street while main street loses their homes. CEO's will be protected while people like us are out in the cold. It matters not whether you are a democrat or republican - it just matters how much $$ you have. >:(
Hey, nice marmot!

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
This crisis was predicted long ago - it seems to be that we are a reactionary society and anything even resembling a proactive stance gets labled a knee-jerk reaction to a non-existent crisis or doomsaying.

u advocating the bush doctrine now? ;)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

u advocating the bush doctrine now? ;)

I am not talking foreign policy - we are speaking of economic policy.
Hey, nice marmot!

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
they are both douchey turds - both business as usual.  O just has the intellectual gloss of a deliberator offering the empty slogan of HOPE (vomit!) (at least his identity card is valid) and M just does the "straight talking" decision-maker thing

''Any change is as good as a vacation at this point.  I don't know if you've paid much attention to the past eight years, but it has been a s---burger supreme. If somebody gives me an empty burger, it's better than eating s---.''

--Stephen Colbert

I have to concur with Colbert.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Stephen Colbert said that? Was it in character?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »
Google says no.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »

No it was part of the interview he & Jon Stewart did for the current issue of EW, the interview specifically said he was out of character.

BTW awesome cover:

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2008, 12:38:05 AM »
obama is proving his turdness with this "financial crisis" - business as usual.

You don't think there's a crisis, or you don't like his response to it?

i certainly don't like his response, its a freaking joke.  as marty writes, the shitslide has been going on for some time now, this is just a last minute cash grab for bush cronies.  i don't think this is anything dire that needs immediate attention - especially the half-assed attention it is being given. the fact that all of a sudden there is a rush to hand-out 700 funcking billion dollars is nonsense.  i side with Naomi Klein's "Shock Doctrine" thinking - create a (sense of) catastrophe and the powerful can rewrite the rules, grab more cash, and shore up their power.  is there an economic problem in the U.S. and globally? of course, but these "spook jobs" are the means that amplify and perpetuate the problems.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #428 on: September 26, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »
So . . . both?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »
So . . . both?

basically.  i do acknowledge there is a problem, though i am reluctant to fall in line with calling this a crisis.  this slide has been going on too long to all of a sudden think immediate action needs to occur, especially the action that is being taken.  by treating this as a crisis, the current economic climate only slides closer and/or deeper into something more crisis-like.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)