Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511098 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #820 on: November 02, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
Yeah- health care for the poor, tax relief for the middle class, education reform (read: trash No Child Left Behind), ending our dependency on fossil fuels, addressing global warming (finally) getting us out of a needless war - all horrible ideas.

Conservatives had their chance and they ran this country into the ground - our global standing is horrible, our economy is in ruins, we lag behind too many countries in education, life expectancy - we need more of the same leadership...?

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #821 on: November 02, 2008, 12:12:53 PM »
Yeah- health care for the poor, tax relief for the middle class, education reform (read: trash No Child Left Behind), ending our dependency on fossil fuels, addressing global warming (finally) getting us out of a needless war - all horrible ideas.

Conservatives had their chance and they ran this country into the ground - our global standing is horrible, our economy is in ruins, we lag behind too many countries in education, life expectancy - we need more of the same leadership...?

Stealing money from one group and giving it to another is wrong, the government isn't robbin hood.  The left is just as responsible for NCLB as Bush so sorry, no points there.  Also the middle class are paying less in taxes than they were 8 years ago... again no points.  Yeah we need to get out of Iraq, they are the ones making sure of that though not any politicians over here.

Bush has obviously not governed as any kind of fiscal conservative... it'd be nice to have someone who is in the white house.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #822 on: November 02, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Compassion, equalizing the economic playing field - these are things I want from a president and it looks as though a lot of other people do too. For far too long we have been subject to the whims and desires of special interests - I am willing to take a chance on being disappointed by someone who claims to interested in righting social injustices.
Conservatives had their chance and got fooled by GWB, not once but twice. I can honestly say that I am not interested in your ideas of government as they failed us during the Reagan yrs and both sets of Bush yrs. Top down economics is a sham and fraud - a theory designed by the rich in order for them to keep and consolidate their power base while giving false hope to the  majority. The idea of an ownership society just creates a nation of consumers and spenders which is a shaky platform to keep the economy chugging along - there is no proactive action taken only a wait-and-see-attitude and knee-jerk reaction when something does go wrong. All the signs were there for this meltdown, even I could see trouble on the horizon and all I did was sell real estate.
There is no room for social compassion in conservatism - just see Reagan's non-response to the beginning of the AIDs epidemic. Show me there is some sort of compassion in conservative ideals because all I see is hate and disdain.
This country was founded on the idea of questioning authority and keeping an eye on your own government - but because I am liberal I have people telling me I am not patriotic, telling me I am unamerican. Because I question our actions abroad I get told I don't support this country from people I work with, because I think we went too far with the Patriot Act - I support terrorism, because I think we need to shut down Guantanamo Bay - I side with Al Queada. Habeas Corpus being the foundation of our legal system and all - we can't even effectively fight terrorism with our own laws - we have to deny alleged terrorists basic rights that we would file complaints about in the World Court if another country did what we did. The glaring hypocrisy is embarrassing as an American - I want us to live up to the promise of what we stand for - not just act in selfish self interest.
Sorry this rant has gone past what you wrote keith and it's not directed at you but I am angry. I am angry that I cannot believe what I do without my love for own country being questioned. It's this basic republican strategy - calling us unamerican - that makes me want to close the door in the face of conservatism. I am one pissed off liberal and this election is LONG OVERDUE - the pendulum MUST swing this far to left to balance out the past 8 yrs of ignorance and greed. Conservatives out there - deal with it.
Hey, nice marmot!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #823 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
Hey, nice marmot!

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #824 on: November 02, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
I love how there are sounds of an angry child mob in the background!
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #825 on: November 02, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
Compassion, equalizing the economic playing field.
Conservatives had their chance and got fooled by GWB, not once but twice. I can honestly say that I am not interested in your ideas of government as they failed us during the Reagan yrs and both sets of Bush yrs. Top down economics is a sham and fraud - a theory designed by the rich in order for them to keep and consolidate their power base while giving false hope to the  majority. The idea of an ownership society just creates a nation of consumers and spenders which is a shaky platform to keep the economy chugging along - there is no proactive action taken only a wait-and-see-attitude and knee-jerk reaction when something does go wrong.
There is no room for social compassion in conservatism - just see Reagan's non-response to the beginning of the AIDs epidemic. Show me there is some sort of compassion in conservative ideals because all I see is hate and disdain.
I prefer an ownership society to an entitlement society which devalues the inherent dignity of work and encourages weakness and dependency.  When given the option I think most people will like water will take the path of least resistance until we all end up at the bottom.

Social and fiscal conservatism are two different things and while I subscribe to the latter the former I am not for.  Reagan's response to the aids crisis had little to do with "conservatism" and was more a product of an exclusionary national ideal where people on the fringes of society were not even regarded let alone considered for gov't support.  I'm not a Reaganite by any means as I agree that social conservatism is more a subtle way to promote hatred but I also think that social liberalism encouraged a revoltingly collectivism.  Everyone has the right to be an asshole but the gov't should legislate morality either.

This country was founded on the idea of questioning authority and keeping an eye on your own government - but because I am liberal I have people telling me I am not patriotic, telling me I am unamerican. Because I question our actions abroad I get told I don't support this country from people I work with, because I think we went too far with the Patriot Act - I support terrorism, because I think we need to shut down Guantanamo Bay - I side with Al Queada. Habeas Corpus being the foundation of our legal system and all - we can't even effectively fight terrorism with our own laws - we have to deny alleged terrorists basic rights that we would file complaints about in the World Court if another country did what we did. The glaring hypocrisy is embarrassing as an American - I want us to live up to the promise of what we stand for - not just act in selfish self interest.
Sorry this rant has gone past what you wrote keith and it's not directed at you but I am angry. I am angry that I cannot believe what I do without my love for own country being questioned. It's this basic republican strategy - calling us unamerican - that makes me want to close the door in the face of conservatism. I am one pissed off liberal and this election is LONG OVERDUE - the pendulum MUST swing this far to left to balance out the past 8 yrs of ignorance and greed. Conservatives out there - deal with it.

you have no arguement with me on this point - except that it is not conservatism.  Its closer to fascism than anything else.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #826 on: November 02, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
Compassion, equalizing the economic playing field - these are things I want from a president and it looks as though a lot of other people do too. For far too long we have been subject to the whims and desires of special interests - I am willing to take a chance on being disappointed by someone who claims to interested in righting social injustices.
Conservatives had their chance and got fooled by GWB, not once but twice. I can honestly say that I am not interested in your ideas of government as they failed us during the Reagan yrs and both sets of Bush yrs. Top down economics is a sham and fraud - a theory designed by the rich in order for them to keep and consolidate their power base while giving false hope to the  majority. The idea of an ownership society just creates a nation of consumers and spenders which is a shaky platform to keep the economy chugging along - there is no proactive action taken only a wait-and-see-attitude and knee-jerk reaction when something does go wrong. All the signs were there for this meltdown, even I could see trouble on the horizon and all I did was sell real estate.

best post of the thread!

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #827 on: November 02, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »
Getting a little touchy?

My apologies Martin, but I tend to get a little touch when accused of being a lazy apathetic voter. I don't feel that was called for.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #828 on: November 03, 2008, 12:44:45 AM »
With all the election huffing and puffing from all of us entitled folks, let's take a break and read this personal story.  Yes, it's pro-Obama, but more than that it's pro-America and all that represents.
Texan Down Under

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #829 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:48 AM »
With all the election huffing and puffing from all of us entitled folks, let's take a break and read this personal story.  Yes, it's pro-Obama, but more than that it's pro-America and all that represents.

I really hope (heh) he comes through on his promises for the sake of the people in this article. and not like this ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:00:28 AM by _Keith_ »

love