love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511177 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: US Elections 2008 Edition
« Reply #910 on: November 04, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
Has anyone seen the size of the bulletproof glass on Obama's stand for the gathering tonight?

They really should get an Obama stand-in.  Like that crappy Dennis Quaid move that came out this year.
I wish I could find a picture. Maybe it's just me, but I was amazed.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/blog/2008/11/04/barack_obama_election_night_speech_to_be_behind_bullet_proof_glass

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #911 on: November 04, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »
marty, i - unfortunately - don't think you have to worry about obama, he has been completely middle-of-the-road, getting too much buy-in from the opposition.  it might even be wrong-headed to think that obama considers "them" "the opposition", which is actually a nice way to think of it

Wow pretty cynical of you Jon - but do you have an alternative?
Or is it just complaining?
I doubt any self-respecting conservative from the Republican party considers Obama middle of the road or centrist. While I appreciate a lot of your politics it's foolish to think that anyone who even remotely has your views is a viable candidate. Now - granted - I am only taking a gauge on where you stand based on what I have read in other forums and in this thread. But considering the last (almost) 3 decades of politics (the Clintons were moderates at best) - this is the most exciting candidate to come along in a while. Instead of immediately dismissing him - keep an open mind and remember that real change always comes in small increments (excluding violent revolution of course :D)...

My point is that to keep the country going in towards the left (and it will only go so far) - you will need to create buy in from the other side. Both sides need to take the time out to humanize the other side...it's the only way.

Sorry - I was ranting again.
Hey, nice marmot!

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #912 on: November 04, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
all votes are equally "thrown away".  i voted for McKinney/Clemente!!! :)

Was the Tupac murder a ballot issue for you?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #913 on: November 04, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »
marty, i - unfortunately - don't think you have to worry about obama, he has been completely middle-of-the-road, getting too much buy-in from the opposition.  it might even be wrong-headed to think that obama considers "them" "the opposition", which is actually a nice way to think of it

Wow pretty cynical of you Jon - but do you have an alternative?
Or is it just complaining?
I doubt any self-respecting conservative from the Republican party considers Obama middle of the road or centrist. While I appreciate a lot of your politics it's foolish to think that anyone who even remotely has your views is a viable candidate. Now - granted - I am only taking a gauge on where you stand based on what I have read in other forums and in this thread. But considering the last (almost) 3 decades of politics (the Clintons were moderates at best) - this is the most exciting candidate to come along in a while. Instead of immediately dismissing him - keep an open mind and remember that real change always comes in small increments (excluding violent revolution of course :D)...

My point is that to keep the country going in towards the left (and it will only go so far) - you will need to create buy in from the other side. Both sides need to take the time out to humanize the other side...it's the only way.

Sorry - I was ranting again.

i don't follow.  you think it is cynical of me to call obama middle-of-the-road?  he has defined himself this way. 

do i have an alternative to what?  to obama?  that's why i voted McKinney.  to middle-of-the-road politics?  sure, pull hard to the left as bush & co. did moving things to the right.  the population has so little will that we tend to accept whatever the powers-that-be dictate.

i didn't vote for McKinney because i thought she was "viable", i voted for her because i believe in what she stands for.  i happen not to agree with many obama positions.  further, i have been a bit disheartened witnessing obama's relaxing positions for what i imagine is political expediency.  i'm not dismissing obama, but i am being realistic about what he has stated to support, as well as how some of his positions have changed a bit over the last year.  there are also things i like about obama, and, as i wrote earlier, i am super-excited and emotional about the actuality of him becoming president.

as far as your "only way" gunk, i don't buy it :)

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #914 on: November 04, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »

i didn't vote for McKinney because i thought she was "viable", i voted for her because i believe in what she stands for.  i happen not to agree with many obama positions. 

I see nothing wrong with voting for a candidate you believe in and you really shouldn't have to defend yourself for doing so.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #915 on: November 04, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
According to Brain Schaffner of Pollster.com, the race to watch is Mitch McConnell in Kentucky. If he goes down early, it's a blowout for Dems and Obama.
Texan Down Under

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #916 on: November 04, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »
CNN is doing some weird ob-wan hologram sh*t.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #917 on: November 04, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »
The spanish channels are the best places to watch because they have the same numbers but they have a much more fun style of speech. I can pick out certain words and it's fun to hear really clear state names in all the garble.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #918 on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »
I'll be disappointed when the Philly Suburbs are no longer the center of the political universe :-\

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #919 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't like that they call states when there is only about 3% of the votes in?  Also, different networks are calling states at different times.  Ugh.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love