Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511083 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: US Politics (and Transition)
« Reply #1320 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
Now theoretically I know they are different, or should be different, but is there really much of a difference between a corporation seeking only profit and a government? Well, aside from one having more power than the other.
I think so. A corporation doesn't have to hide the fact it's in it for the money.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1321 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »
Now theoretically I know they are different, or should be different, but is there really much of a difference between a corporation seeking only profit and a government? Well, aside from one having more power than the other.

There is a HUGE difference. A government run plan, because not concerned with profit, is far less likely to deny care. In fact, in Canada is unheard of for somebody to simply be denied care. There are cases of people not able to see doctors for whatever reason, and other such things, but nothing that comes directly from the government run plan. In fact, OHIP will pay for your treatment at an American hospital if you must go there for some specific treatment or operation.

When a corporation is in charge is where you get into trouble. An insurance company automatically wants to do everything it can to not cover you, or at the very least cover you as cheaply as possible. This is where idiotic things like pre-existing conditions comes into play. Pre-existing conditions is like a foreign term in Canada. Another by product, is that hospitals will often not treat you, unless it is truly something immediately life threatening, because they fear not being able to be reimbursed unless you have proper medical coverage. And if they do treat you without you having proper coverage then you are stuck with a bill of thousands and thousands of dollars, which will often bankrupt you. I have never heard of an Ontarian having to go bankrupt to get medical treatment in this province. In the US it happens on a daily basis.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1322 on: August 19, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »

There is a HUGE difference. A government run plan, because not concerned with profit, is far less likely to deny care. In fact, in Canada is unheard of for somebody to simply be denied care. There are cases of people not able to see doctors for whatever reason, and other such things, but nothing that comes directly from the government run plan. In fact, OHIP will pay for your treatment at an American hospital if you must go there for some specific treatment or operation.

When a corporation is in charge is where you get into trouble. An insurance company automatically wants to do everything it can to not cover you, or at the very least cover you as cheaply as possible. This is where idiotic things like pre-existing conditions comes into play. Pre-existing conditions is like a foreign term in Canada. Another by product, is that hospitals will often not treat you, unless it is truly something immediately life threatening, because they fear not being able to be reimbursed unless you have proper medical coverage. And if they do treat you without you having proper coverage then you are stuck with a bill of thousands and thousands of dollars, which will often bankrupt you. I have never heard of an Ontarian having to go bankrupt to get medical treatment in this province. In the US it happens on a daily basis.

Which is fine, if I were talking about Health Care. I just mean in general. They are both, more or less businesses. A government just has more means to assure that their business interests thrive.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1323 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »

Which is fine, if I were talking about Health Care. I just mean in general. They are both, more or less businesses. A government just has more means to assure that their business interests thrive.

Again. Not the same thing. Both care about their budgets. But a government cares less. AND only a corporation is interested in profit. And it's the profit part the screws everyone over.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1324 on: August 19, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
I find this very true. There are a lot of nutso liberals, but none of them can touch people like Glenn Beck, and those who take him seriously.

Michael Moore and his legions of fans say hello.

HAHAHA, ya that's the same thing. OK!

It's exactly the same thing, an extreme liberal who has no problem presenting non-facts as facts and has a legion of loyal followers who believe every word he says is the gospel.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1325 on: August 19, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
I find this very true. There are a lot of nutso liberals, but none of them can touch people like Glenn Beck, and those who take him seriously.

It's exactly the same thing, an extreme liberal who has no problem presenting non-facts as facts and has a legion of loyal followers who believe every word he says is the gospel.

Yes. All terrible. But have you SEEN Glenn Beck?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1326 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »

Yeah, and he's really bad, but he's no worse than Moore, both are terrible, terrible people who take away precious are from those who deserve it.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1327 on: August 19, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »

Yeah, and he's really bad, but he's no worse than Moore, both are terrible, terrible people who take away precious are from those who deserve it.

But have you SEEN him? He cries. CRIES!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1328 on: August 19, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

I'm sorry but this is just idiotic. I don't want to call names but sometimes something is just idiotic.

Yes Moore has been guilty of stretching the facts, and using hyperbole in his films. However, if you really think that is the same thing as comparing the move towards universal healthcare too nazism then I feel bad for you.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1329 on: August 19, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
To be fair. A lot of liberals have been known to wave pictures of Bush with a Hitler mustache.

love