love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511254 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: US Politics (and Transition)
« Reply #1340 on: August 19, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
To be fair. A lot of liberals have been known to wave pictures of Bush with a Hitler mustache.

I agree this was moronic as well.

However, lets have some perspective. Bush was, at least partly, responsible for two failed wars, which cost 1.6 trillion dollars, the biggest debt and deficit in US history, the first recession in 30 years, the lose of millions of jobs, death of hundreds of thousands of people, and a near total destruction of several parts of the US constitution.

Obama is trying to move to universal healthcare.

My politics are no secret, however, they don't preclude me from being rational. Bill can say "Moore has done worse" all he wants but it is simply false. This is why political debates get ridiculous. People seem to think that because its politics facts dont matter.

I would love to hear one example from Moore that is similar to calling Omaba a nazi for trying to move to universal healthcare.

I suppose Moore's pre-Sicko speech comparing the entire republican party to the Satlinist regime of Russia doesn't count?

You aren't being anywhere near objective, you have decided you agree with one man and despise the other. This is leading to a situation where you ignore anything that Moore has done that is just as sensational because that would mean your argument against Beck has no legs. Both are political morons, and ignoring the detailed faults of Moore just so it doesn't damage your argument is selective hate and the exact type of thinking that has enabled the corrupt party system to dominate US politics for decades now.

I am not a huge Moore fan. My point is comparing him to the idiot in this video is silly beyond any rational level.

And still, you ignore just as stupid of s statement by Moore in order to continue to lampoon the conservative in the situation. Continue with your selective hate, but recognize it for the selective and biased hate that it is.

I just searched for this quote and find nowhere that Moore made this claim.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #1341 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
I don't care about the conservative institution. I just feel like the most insane of people tend to fall on the conservative end of things for some reason.

Perhaps you're right, although I've met a fair share of uppity ante liberals who could complain about just about anything. That doesn't make them crazy, I realize that, but a super gun-ho liberal can get on my nerves just as much as a wacko conservative.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1342 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »
I don't care about the conservative institution. I just feel like the most insane of people tend to fall on the conservative end of things for some reason.

Perhaps you're right, although I've met a fair share of uppity ante liberals who could complain about just about anything. That doesn't make them crazy, I realize that, but a super gun-ho liberal can get on my nerves just as much as a wacko conservative.

I totally agree. I was jut referring to looniness. ie. Glenn Beck.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1343 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »
To be fair. A lot of liberals have been known to wave pictures of Bush with a Hitler mustache.

However, lets have some perspective. Bush was, at least partly, responsible for two failed wars, which cost 1.6 trillion dollars, the biggest debt and deficit in US history, the first recession in 30 years, the lose of millions of jobs, death of hundreds of thousands of people, and a near total destruction of several parts of the US constitution.

My politics are no secret, however, they don't preclude me from being rational. Bill can say "Moore has done worse" all he wants but it is simply false. This is why political debates get ridiculous. People seem to think that because its politics facts dont matter.

I would love to hear one example from Moore that is similar to calling Omaba a nazi for trying to move to universal healthcare.

I suppose Moore's pre-Sicko speech comparing the entire republican party to the Satlinist regime of Russia doesn't count?

You aren't being anywhere near objective, you have decided you agree with one man and despise the other. This is leading to a situation where you ignore anything that Moore has done that is just as sensational because that would mean your argument against Beck has no legs. Both are political morons, and ignoring the detailed faults of Moore just so it doesn't damage your argument is selective hate and the exact type of thinking that has enabled the corrupt party system to dominate US politics for decades now.

I am not a huge Moore fan. My point is comparing him to the idiot in this video is silly beyond any rational level.

And still, you ignore just as stupid of s statement by Moore in order to continue to lampoon the conservative in the situation. Continue with your selective hate, but recognize it for the selective and biased hate that it is.

He's made it more than once, along with a lot of other stupidity of the highest level. I know it was covered in the Sun-Times, Herald, and Tribune here, his comments were considered stupid enough that both the conservative and liberal papers lambasted him for them.

Just search "Michael Moore stupidity" and you will be blindsided by a bevy of the moronic things he has said that place him in the same class as Beck.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1344 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »

He's made it more than once, along with a lot of other stupidity of the highest level. I know it was covered in the Sun-Times, Herald, and Tribune here, his comments were considered stupid enough that both the conservative and liberal papers lambasted him for them.

Just search "Michael Moore stupidity" and you will be blindsided by a bevy of the moronic things he has said that place him in the same class as Beck.

I searched it he didnt say it. Sorry.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1345 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Here's the main point. Hitler=Bad. Health Care=Good. Heath Care≠Hitler.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1346 on: August 19, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »

I searched it he didnt say it. Sorry.

I don't really care whether you find it or not, he said it, and has said stuff just as stupid and worse than Beck. But, don't let me stop you from your liberal trolling, long live the liberal agenda after all.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1347 on: August 19, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

I don't really care whether you find it or not, he said it, and has said stuff just as stupid and worse than Beck. But, don't let me stop you from your liberal trolling, long live the liberal agenda after all.

Are you serious?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1348 on: August 19, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Which is fine, if I were talking about Health Care. I just mean in general. They are both, more or less businesses. A government just has more means to assure that their business interests thrive.
Not exactly, FLY. In one sense you're right, since the 1980s public sectors in most Western countries have taken steps to operate in a more "businesslike" fashion in an effort to achieve a greater degree of efficiency (eg: New Public Management in Thatcher's UK, Osborne and Gaebler in the USA); essentially the whole "doing more with less" thing. With that said however, there are fundamental differences between what is expected from a public organization as opposed to a private one. The mandate and goals of a public organization are more varied, complex, and at times contradictory, while private organizations are chiefly responsibility to its shareholders.

You're right that both require a degree of financial health, but how that financial health is assessed very much varies from public to private. Furthermore, and specifically related to your statement, a public organization can and does engage in activities where no clear profit is generated, activities that a private company would not enter into or would do so in a much different manner. So to say that public and private organizations are more or less businesses really ignores how different they are and the complexity of it all.

So when there is debate about something like health care, what the debate is really about is what is the best model for service delivery. And "best" is defined by how views about the market and the state are valued, a private model provides a degree of care relative to what the user can pay, while a public system assures a good baseline level for all. What's lost with the public system is market efficiency, but what's gained is greater equity, therefore there is a crucial difference between the private and public.      
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:44:14 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1349 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
FOOKING CANADIANS