Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511081 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: US Politics (and Transition)
« Reply #1430 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
It is rather embarrassing.

I am somewhat encouraged by the report today that the Democrat opposing Rep. Joe Wilson has received something like $450,000 in donations since last night...

There is a lovely synergy between the lowest levels of discourse in this country and their featuring on the media 24/7 so that all the conversation becomes about (in this case) death panels and abortion funding instead of anything substantial, and the several corporations that have come to own just about all the major media outlets.  They are in it for the money and don't have any higher calling to practice journalism or have any integrity in what they put out, and people have become so inured to it that they don't even know to demand better.  Woodward and Bernstein?  They were the product of the liberal slanted media that was determined to destroy President Nixon because they hated him.  Feh.

The more I see, the  more I think of Rome's bread and circuses.  In our case it would be high fructose corn syrup and American Idol, about which more people become knowledgeable and exercised than almost anything else going.

Sad.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1431 on: September 10, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
Well, you heard that Ellen's going to be a judge now, right?  :D

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1432 on: September 11, 2009, 12:33:26 AM »
I apologize to my American brethren on the forum, but I have come to the sad conclusion that you are incapable of having a real discussion on any large complex issue of national importance. Your political discourse is irrevocably broken I am afraid. Obviously, I am referring to the nation as a whole. There are of course many individuals still able to have a reasonable discussion. However, your national discussion is almost worthless at this point.

No apology needed - you are quite right - it is depressing.
Hey, nice marmot!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1433 on: September 11, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »
It's called party politics, as long as people feel the need to continually tow the oparty line this is the state America, and the world, will reside in.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #1434 on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
I apologize to my American brethren on the forum, but I have come to the sad conclusion that you are incapable of having a real discussion on any large complex issue of national importance. Your political discourse is irrevocably broken I am afraid. Obviously, I am referring to the nation as a whole. There are of course many individuals still able to have a reasonable discussion. However, your national discussion is almost worthless at this point.

while I tend to agree with what you said, it's not like the US is the only one.  I look at parliment in Britan for instance....
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1435 on: September 11, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »

I agree. Since Reagan, all issues seem to have become bipartisan in scope, and both parties cannot have a conversation about a topic without disagreeing with each other.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1436 on: September 11, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »

I agree. Since Reagan, all issues seem to have become bipartisan in scope, and both parties cannot have a conversation about a topic without disagreeing with each other.

It goes back further than that. Like him or hate him, Richard Nixon was the last real President this nation had. He spoke his mind, put forth his own views, and instead of his party controlling him he controlled his party. I would never have voted for Nixon personally, but he's still better than any President we have had since because at the very least he was his own man and not a slave to his party.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1437 on: September 11, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
Wow - and here I thought that "doing the right thing" was how we judged a good leader.
Hey, nice marmot!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1438 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:06 PM »
Wow - and here I thought that "doing the right thing" was how we judged a good leader.

sucker  ;)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1439 on: September 11, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »

I never said he was a good man, simply that he was his own man. I don't condone his actions and I would have wanted him out of office the same as everyone else. However, that doesn't change the fact that he was the last real politician to hold a major office. I would rather have a Nixon in office than any of the President's who came after him and lacked the ability to think for themselves and set their own policy.