Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511138 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Politics
« Reply #6050 on: December 28, 2017, 02:19:29 AM »
When you throw in that Jones is pro-abortion, this win really is something for the record books.  Trump won AL by 27 points! This is a blood red state, folks.

But do you think he will be able to hold on when he goes up for reelection? He won against a seriously flawed candidate but probably will have a much different experience next time.  I believe his seat is up for election in 2020
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6051 on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
The Republicans have got a long time to find someone better.  He probably won't hold it.

Some of this also has to do with white people staying home and not voting because they just don't like the choices.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6052 on: December 28, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »
Poor white people. They get a raw deal.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #6053 on: December 28, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »
When you throw in that Jones is pro-abortion, this win really is something for the record books.  Trump won AL by 27 points! This is a blood red state, folks.

But do you think he will be able to hold on when he goes up for reelection? He won against a seriously flawed candidate but probably will have a much different experience next time.  I believe his seat is up for election in 2020

I wasn't actually talking about the Jones win, but rather the Democrat win, in AL which I think that coupled with the Democratic win in VA for the statehouse signals good things for Democrats in 2018.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6054 on: December 29, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Got it...

just wondering what some of those in the US (and maybe Canada) think about what seems what seems to be an overly aggressive response from the left on subjects that offend them or not agree with? I have heard of a lot of it happening on university campuses.

I am not sure I understand that backlash to Vanity Fair runs an attempt to be humorous? At the very least, I don't like they felt a need to apologize and they should at least stand up for their staff when they put the whole thing together.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/vanity-fair-apologises-telling-hillary-212500359.html
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6055 on: December 29, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
just wondering what some of those in the US (and maybe Canada) think about what seems what seems to be an overly aggressive response from the left on subjects that offend them or not agree with? I have heard of a lot of it happening on university campuses.

Heard from whom? I've studied or taught at about seven different colleges across two states and seen very little evidence. Arguably the most prominent example of an aggressive response to offense was driving Ward Churchill out at CU-Boulder (which was driven more from the right than the left, though I concurred with that particular move and acted in my official capacity on the student union to block that group from resolving in support of Churchill.

Maybe at a few elite liberal arts schools and Cal-Berkeley there is some hyper-liberal policing but that is a small fraction of the student population, even though the media acts like it is all that exists.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6056 on: December 30, 2017, 01:36:29 AM »
Mostly from some interviews and discussions heard on various podcast and YouTube. Will post the nite specific examples tomorrow

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6057 on: January 02, 2018, 11:08:30 PM »
2018 already feeling:

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6058 on: January 23, 2018, 04:16:51 AM »
The new season of America is starting really strong. A nuclear scare and a government shutdown right in the season premiere. I wonder how they're going to top that later on.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6059 on: January 23, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
Non event these days. Govt shutdowns have happened so many times now that the market actually goes up when it happens.

love