Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511153 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Politics
« Reply #6090 on: January 27, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
Hmm, not sure I’ve seen it used that way. Aside from being used by alt-right as an insult I’ve seen it embraced by the left in an effort to neutralize the power. I’m a SJW because social justice is a good thing worth fighting for.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6091 on: January 27, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »
By that logic everyone would be an SJW. Is there anyone who argues that social justice is not a good thing?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6092 on: January 27, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »
Donald Trump, et al.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6093 on: January 27, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
I imagine even they would say they're for social justice - it's just that they see justice as something different.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6094 on: January 27, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
Then why do they use Social Justice Warrior as an insult? Quod erat demonstrandum ipso facto.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6095 on: January 27, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
Ah that is what an SJW is.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6096 on: January 28, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »
Well, apparently Trump's proposal is out and it is...plausible? My fear here is that if the Dems take it, getting everything they want vis a vis DACA/Dreamers, the same people who are attacking them now as caving for lack of support for DACA will be attacking them for accepting the other conditions to get it.

-$25 billion in funding for the "wall"...well, it is such a vague and symbolic thing, not likely to have significant impact, and likely to take years to get anywhere, this seems like something that could just be reversed in 2021 without having done much harm.

-No longer giving adult children, siblings and parents of citizens preference in immigration. Fine. I mean, I support open borders, but if we are going to limit immigration I'm not sure giving priority to this broader circle of family members needs to be a priority.

-Ending the diversity lottery in favor of "merit" selections. Likely discriminatory, but tolerable. Again, these changes need not be in place forever. Admittedly legislating immigration has been hellish but hopefully it can happen again when the power is such that the outcome is better.

If Trump was going even more heavily against refugees as part of this compromise, I would be more likely to oppose it because I think that is the most important part of our immigration system from a humanitarian standpoint.

Agree about the wall. The wall doesn't particularly bother me because it will take forever to build and be derailed once Democrats get back into power, which seems quite likely to happen sooner than later. Even if it gets built, it's kind of irrelevant. There's already quite a bit of fencing on the border, and people I've brought there from where I'm originally from in the Midwest find it sad to look at. I don't see the wall increasing the demoralizing effect of the current fencing, or increase any sense of shame some of our own citizens have. Also agree about refugees.

Disagree about chain immigration. I think both the refugee issue and chain immigration issue are important from a moral standpoint, and they represent the U.S.A. I want to be a part of. That's a very subjective and personal stance, I know, but I hate to see families separated, especially in cultures where the extended family is more integral and perhaps crucial to the psychological well-being of their family members on their way or already here. 
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6097 on: January 28, 2018, 02:48:16 AM »
I have lived most of my life as an immigrant in one country or another now so I am not sure how I should feel about it. I don't see anything being proposed as unreasonable except the wall part is a bit silly, there probably are more efficient methods to secure a border.

I did apply to get my wife residence in Singapore and it got rejected. She has no issue visiting me but can only stay for 30 days at a time. I do have the right to live in Germany, at least until they detail what will happen after Brexit, but it is not really where I want to stay.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6098 on: January 30, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
Yesterday was a very dark day even in a year of perpetual storm clouds.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6099 on: February 04, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
If you are an immigrant, it is best to just stay away from the United States.  We create homeless through high rents, reject helping them and prevent non-profits from helping them.  The US has no interest in providing a context in which human rights can be legal.  They don't even give a nod to them.  They criminalize poverty.  This is an evil place. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky