love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511005 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Politics
« Reply #6150 on: October 05, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
The only possible upside of this is GOP voters already got what the wanted and Dem/progressive/anti-GOP voters are even angrier and go to the polls in even higher numbers. Who knows though. CINECAST! Manchin.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6151 on: October 10, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
My new American girlfriend is very much into politics, so to ingratiate myself with her I'm helping her with her activism. We're going to march for « a woman's right to shoes », which sounds a bit silly to me, but hey, women.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6152 on: October 10, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
High heals, right?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6153 on: November 05, 2018, 09:38:56 PM »
It’s jaw dropping the number of people who are voting Red because of good things they think Republicans are doing that They are not or bad things they think Democrats are doing that They are not. People are literally voting because they don’t have the correct information. The claws are in so deep they can no longer tell the truth from the lies.

valmz

« Reply #6154 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
It’s jaw dropping the number of people who are voting Red because of good things they think Republicans are doing that They are not or bad things they think Democrats are doing that They are not. People are literally voting because they don’t have the correct information. The claws are in so deep they can no longer tell the truth from the lies.
Like what?

Like how Republicans are tough on immigration, even though Trump is deporting fewer than Obama?
Like how Republicans want to protect pre-existing conditions, even though Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare 54 times and allowed insurers to charge people with pre-existing conditions more in the House bill that they passed during Trump's Presidency?
Like how Republicans are fiscally responsible, even though Trump's tax cuts have already increased the deficit while the economy grew substantially and companies repatriated tons of money?
Like how Republicans are good for the economy, even though Obama ushered in the current economy after it collapsed during Bush's Presidency due to lack of regluation?
Like how Republicans don't deny science, even when they clearly do?

I don't know where you're getting this idea.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6155 on: November 06, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
Like what?

Like how Republicans are tough on immigration, even though Trump is deporting fewer than Obama?
Like how Republicans want to protect pre-existing conditions, even though Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare 54 times and allowed insurers to charge people with pre-existing conditions more in the House bill that they passed during Trump's Presidency?
Like how Republicans are fiscally responsible, even though Trump's tax cuts have already increased the deficit while the economy grew substantially and companies repatriated tons of money?
Like how Republicans are good for the economy, even though Obama ushered in the current economy after it collapsed during Bush's Presidency due to lack of regluation?
Like how Republicans don't deny science, even when they clearly do?

I don't know where you're getting this idea.

Well, he said "think" and not have done. 

I am not sure either party is a great supporter of science though clearly if the topic is around Climate Change, then it will be mostly the Republicans in this camp.

I am hoping there is some decent opposition in 2020 from the Democrats as well as a good challenger from the Republican side, though you would have to want to put yourself in an ugly fight. I don't fit well with either side though Democrats have managed things better.

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

valmz

« Reply #6156 on: November 06, 2018, 03:20:43 AM »

I am not sure either party is a great supporter of science though clearly if the topic is around Climate Change, then it will be mostly the Republicans in this camp.

I am hoping there is some decent opposition in 2020 from the Democrats as well as a good challenger from the Republican side, though you would have to want to put yourself in an ugly fight. I don't fit well with either side though Democrats have managed things better.
I think we're beyond the point of considering whether you "fit well with either side". Many, many long-time high-ranking Republicans are abandoning the party in droves. The Democrats are a reasonable party built on ideology and facts, and Republicans are a ridiculous party built on single-mindedly benefiting rich donors and lying. It's just crazy, and there is no equivalence.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #6157 on: November 06, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
Social media has created these bubbles of ideological rhetoric not based on facts but rather on lies, and since people decide what they want to allow into their media feeds they are giving themselves a feedback loop to support their own ideas.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6158 on: November 06, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »

I think we're beyond the point of considering whether you "fit well with either side". Many, many long-time high-ranking Republicans are abandoning the party in droves. The Democrats are a reasonable party built on ideology and facts, and Republicans are a ridiculous party built on single-mindedly benefiting rich donors and lying. It's just crazy, and there is no equivalence.

I don't see either party being very pure, certainly, Hillary was as tied to corporate and banking interest as just about any politician. While I am not aligned with Sanders ideologically, he seemed one of the few that you could believe where he was coming from. But I am not sure they are similar when it comes to ideology. Any idea who the likely top Democrats that will run in 2020?

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6159 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:41 AM »
Certainly not the repudiation of Trump we would have hoped for tonight. Some bright spots, and Dems retaking the House is crucial, but we're seeing how deeply and seemingly irreconcilably divided the "United" States is.

My home town district just reelected white supremacist Steve King. Three million people actually voted for Ted Cruz. Trump stooge, Devin Nunes, won reelection, but at least (my rep) Adam Schiff will now be House Intel Committee Chairman. Brian Kemp, who may come out of this election as the most vile GOP candidate, cheated his way to victory. We have a very long way to go.

love