love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511093 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Politics
« Reply #6270 on: August 21, 2019, 03:12:09 PM »
The news is just... impossibly grim these days. Makes me glad we don't have kids because things are about to get very tough for humankind.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6271 on: August 26, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »
I wish this image link wasn't dead.

I think teens should run the world.

Then the Presidential Race would look like this...

I'd love to know how prophetic it was.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6272 on: August 26, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »
I’m mad at imgur. So many of my awesome images are gone.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6273 on: September 15, 2019, 01:05:35 PM »
Anyone else getting into conversations suggesting that the Democratic candidates should get into a room and work out among themselves what the ticket should be so that they can start fighting the GOP machine immediately? If the most important thing is beating Donald Trump, how great would it be to come out as a unified group, with like Warren/Booker as the top of the ticket and everyone else taking jobs that suit them, like Kamala Harris as Attorney General. Joe Biden would be a great diplomat, mending the friendships we've made with key allies.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6274 on: September 15, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
No.  The Democrats I know are backing their horse as if there were no other option.  Kinda how we got in this mess in the first place.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6275 on: September 16, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »
The last episode of Real Time was really on point. The debates are soooo mild compared to what a presidential debate will be like. You need to be prepared to be on stage with someone who will be insulting you to your face, racially or because your old, or poor, or a woman...  And he'll do it without blinking an eye... And his supporters will love him for it (because liberals are sub-human to them). It wont be enough to stand there in those moments and smirk and roll your eyes. And it wont work to take the high ground or lecture him on his inappropriateness. You're going to be on live tv being bullied, straight up. If you look to the moderators for help you'll have lost. If you try to ignore it he'll keep going and you'll have lost. You basically need someone who is legitimately thin skinned and will let themselves get angry and react...  and will go over and kick his podium over, decoum be damned. If they stand there and are. Willin to be insulted without doing anything about it, they'll lose.

Imo no dem is up to this challenge, and i dont want to see a debate get violent or spark violence, so they should simply refuse to debate Trump.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6276 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
I think Warren, Harris, and Sanders would do just fine in a debate with Trump. Biden probably would get into fisticuffs with him.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6277 on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
No.  The Democrats I know are backing their horse as if there were no other option.  Kinda how we got in this mess in the first place.

Hmm, guess we hang with different Democrats. Most I see have an "almost everyone...and I'd vote for any of the rest if I had to" approach. While Warren is the one I intend to vote for in the primary, I'd be extremely happy to vote for Harris, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, Castro, or Booker. I'm ambivalent to Klobachar. I'd grit my teeth for Biden or Sanders. Yang will not be the nominee. I don't remember the rest but I'm pretty sure I forgot someone who made the most recent debate.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #6278 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »

Hmm, guess we hang with different Democrats. Most I see have an "almost everyone...and I'd vote for any of the rest if I had to" approach. While Warren is the one I intend to vote for in the primary, I'd be extremely happy to vote for Harris, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, Castro, or Booker. I'm ambivalent to Klobachar. I'd grit my teeth for Biden or Sanders. Yang will not be the nominee. I don't remember the rest but I'm pretty sure I forgot someone who made the most recent debate.

Why do you put Sanders and Biden in the same box? Just because they're old white men?

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6279 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
Why do you put Sanders and Biden in the same box? Just because they're old white men?

Speaking for myself: basically, yes. Biden is 76 and is really showing his age. Bernie is 78 and seems more spry, but still, both are nearing the average male life expectancy. Why push our luck when there are a number of other very solid candidates? (Who I think have much better policies and approaches)

love