Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511113 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Politics
« Reply #6280 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
I would generally consider dying in office a minimal issue. The VP from the same party takes over, things are fine. The problem is when they decline rather than die and are actually a liability. Biden does seem to be a little scattered in a way that doesn't comfort me. Presidents are heads of state and their words matter. We need someone who can communicate more clearly than Biden (and with less hate than Trump).

Bernie's age doesn't concern me as much rather his general Bernieness. I detest the way he positions himself as outside the Democratic Party with the implication that the Party is bad. I find that largely unforgivable (though because unlike him I am a member of the Party, I would vote for him if he was the candidate). I also think he is fundamentally naive about public policy. It's not just a question of none of his policies could pass...even if he could enact them by fiat, they would be bad policies with all kinds of unintended consequences.

So Biden and Bernie make me grate my teeth for very different reasons.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6281 on: September 25, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »
The last two days have been a very long month.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6282 on: September 25, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
I’m voting for whatever candidate changes the social security retirement age to “once Trump is out of office” because I’ll definitely feel in my 60s by then.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6283 on: September 25, 2019, 05:29:54 PM »
The last two years have been a lifetime.

The last two days have been a party.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6284 on: October 10, 2019, 09:54:23 AM »
Who could have possibly foreseen things going this badly under Trump...

/the most sarcasm

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6285 on: October 10, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
Elizabeth Warren may have just given my favorite answer in politics ever.

Question:: What if someone tells you "I believe marriage is between one man and one woman?"

Warren: "I'm going to assume it's a guy. And I'd tell him, 'So marry one woman.' [pause] If you can find one."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6286 on: October 14, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »
On a level of style and fight choreography, the church scene is a marvel. But what are we watching here? A character I like dishing out a punishment I despise that an audience is meant to cheer on because the victims are painted in broad strokes as deserving of such brutality?
I was DarkeningHumour was around to defend this scene to me now.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6287 on: October 14, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »
Which film?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6288 on: October 14, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
Kingsman: The Secret Service. A photoshopped version of this pro-fascist scene, replacing "a character I like" with Donald Trump has been making the rounds.

FYI, you can click the "Quote from..." part and the forum will take you to the original conversation.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6289 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:23 PM »
thanks.. should have known I can click the link, it just didn't stand out like a normal hyperlink to me.  It was a film that seemed entertaining enough at the time but I can't remember too well now.   He had taken a couple of leave of absence before while he was transitioning to a new country so thought he would re-appear eventually, but now I have lost hope.  I do miss DH's discussions.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love