love

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511106 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Politics
« Reply #6320 on: January 18, 2020, 05:33:07 AM »
The one saving grace longer term in the electoral college is it really does seem that Arizona, Texas, Georgia and North Carolina are trending blue, which would make up for Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin and maybe Minnesota, Michigan and Pennsylvania moving the opposite direction. And the generational gap is so huge that another 10-20 years of old people dying and millennials aging into higher turnout years will shift things a lot too. Only problem is it'll be too late for climate change and potentially too late for American democracy.

Antares

• Godfather
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #6322 on: January 18, 2020, 08:01:37 AM »
If Trump wins again, we can blame the Russians again.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6323 on: January 18, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »
Also, a percentage of those millennials who age up will trend to the right as they come in to more financial stability and continue to be old on the idea that if you're stable enough sometime you might get super stable and hit it real big, at which point Republican tax laws will benefit them. That idea is so baked in to the myth of the American Dream that, as passionate as you may see younger generations now (of which I still technically qualify, I guess), it's likely to fade as they shift demographics. I figure there's a trend of people getting more conservative leaning as they age, but that's just speculation on my end.

In regard to not seeing a Democratic candidate to beat Trump, I think the primary is a byproduct of that, but not the reason I see things that way. Maybe if they can mobilize voters, perhaps, but at that point you're looking at Biden (presumably, he seems to think that he's the Great White Hope or something and that all non-white voting blocs are ready to come out in droves to support him), Sanders, and Warren, both of which do seem to have pretty dialed in bases. Not sure they outweigh Trump's base though, which will bring it to swing voters/ones who are also not apathetic. Someone mentioned after the last debate, talking either to or about Pete, I believe, that it's hard to be sure he'd be ready to stand head to head on a debate stage with Trump because it won't be like anything he's seen at the primary, and I get that sense as well, with him especially. Biden is so dialed in on rhetoric that I also feel like Trump's theatricality has a pretty decisive advantage on him there, and he's basically been prepping attacks on Warren since before she even announced candidacy, so, mixed in with how he feeds on hate, racism, and misogyny, that I also find it difficult to see him not coming out as a decisive 'winner' in the perception after their debates. Maybe Sanders can match him, since he also dabbles in the theatricality, but even that I'm not sure about, though of the people left he's the one I feel who has the biggest advantage in that regard.

Of course the real solution is shutting everything down on election day and making the process so simple/uniform that a need to mandate voting isn't even a necessity, but, obvi, neither of those will happen. I've voted in every election/primary/whatever at each level since I turned 18, even though I can say that my vote has felt important only once or twice, but I imagine that's a hard sell for most people and the fight against apathy is the real one that needs to be won.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6324 on: January 18, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
People getting more conservative as they age isn't really a thing. And the younger generations are liberal in part because they are less white. They definitely aren't getting whiter as they age.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6325 on: January 18, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »
I'll have to give that a read, like I mentioned it was all speculation on my part, though I do think the Republican party largely traffics in that 'what if it was me' mentality to sell to parts of their base that would likely benefit more from liberal policy.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6326 on: January 18, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/478898-kansas-city-radio-station-signs-deal-to-broadcast-russia-state-owned-media#disqus_thread

You see the times they're airing? Maybe that's not prime time for radio, but 6-9am and 6-9pm are still times we're all awake!

On Trump's base, here's a decent little article on it. The actual base may be entrenched, but it's not as big as we think.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-base-is-smaller-than-he-thinks/2019/10/06/0826a842-e6dd-11e9-a6e8-8759c5c7f608_story.html

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6327 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:46 AM »
If Trump wins again, we can blame the Russians again.

Sometimes I think Democrats can be their own worst enemy; I thought this was quite interesting to listen to about how disfunctional things can really be.  It will be interesting to see what happens the next time Doug Jones is up for re-election

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhd33/152-the-real-enemy-part-1

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6328 on: January 21, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
That's a GREAT podcast. What a cluster----.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

valmz

« Reply #6329 on: January 27, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »
Justin Amash has some great impeachment commentary. He’s even quoting the Federalist Papers to disembowel the White House’s defense.

love