Author Topic: Politics  (Read 511109 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: Politics
« Reply #6350 on: February 19, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
Yoooooo...the Dems are straight battle rappin' right now. Shoutout to Post-It notes, created in the great state of Minnesota.

Bernie's policy explanations are great because he argues for the intersection of humane and simplicity. I hear Elizabeth on incrementalism...but I also think to get anything done Dems gotta get the Senate, kill the filibuster, and go HAM. I feel like Bernie can use the bully pulpit better than anyone because he keeps it on the level of a regular person. I'm starting to shift toward him, if you can't tell.

Stressed Biden looks like a Klingon, btw. Fortunately, I'm not the first one to notice:

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6351 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
There is no such thing as a bully pulpit. Also pretty sure Sanders doesn't support eliminating the filibuster.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6352 on: February 19, 2020, 10:26:40 PM »
Biden looks older and older each debate. Weird that Yang is now a commentator on CNN.

Sanders has used the filibuster in the past, I believe, he is also long winded enough that I think he'd be in to keeping it. Him being the closest thing to a third party candidate who has a chance of getting elected has me more likely to support him in a general election than I have given consideration to a major party candidate before. Not sure I would, but there's at least a possibility. There are enough Trump comparisons though that I think he's the one most capable of taking him on, and with the weak field otherwise if the DNC really wants to stick it to him then they ought to let him have a shot and let voters/Trump crush his movement or have him win and fall in line like how Trump has further destroyed the Republican party.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6353 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:47 PM »
No such thing as the bully pulpit? In an age of Trump's Twitter, c'mon...I don't even know what to say to that...

Any Dem that wins will get nothing of substance passed with the filibuster in place. We'll see what happens if/when they're in that position. Considering the emergency that is climate change, not to mention healthcare, student debt, and child care crises, maintaining a filibuster and institutions that deny the interests of a majority of people must fall if the overall governmental system is to be salvaged.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6354 on: February 19, 2020, 10:55:10 PM »
I'd take the Colonel any day. Warren too.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #6355 on: February 19, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »
Bernie is the only candidate against allowing superdelegates to decide the primary. If the DNC steals the nomination from Bernie, there won't be a Democratic party in 2021.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #6356 on: February 19, 2020, 11:55:41 PM »
Every now and then I check out TikTok just to see what the kids are doing these days, and it's surprising how many of them are Trump supporters.

Of course anything can happen in the next 9 months, but I feel more and more certain he's going to get re-elected.

That's odd. I see a lot of them creating Soviet Union and Communist meme videos. Hm.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6357 on: February 20, 2020, 12:00:49 AM »
I think shock might win out on TikTok and many other platforms.

Had students last year use the Soviet flag as their Google avatar/picture last year, and it kind of unnerved me. Talked to them about it, they knew nothing about the Soviet Union, Stalin, Cold War, etc.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6358 on: February 20, 2020, 04:59:49 AM »
etdoesgood: The bully pulpit theory is that the President can use his public position to raise popular support for his priorities and push Congress to act. It is more than just setting the topic for debate. The reality is when a President publicizes an agenda, it makes partisans dig in and makes it less likely Congress will act. This is as true for Trump as it was for Obama.

Bernie is the only candidate against allowing superdelegates to decide the primary. If the DNC steals the nomination from Bernie, there won't be a Democratic party in 2021.

If you don’t get a majority of delegates, you don’t have anything to get stolen. The convention works like a runoff or ranked choice voting...gotta get delegates off non-viable candidates and get a majority to win.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #6359 on: February 20, 2020, 06:02:46 AM »
If you don’t get a majority of delegates, you don’t have anything to get stolen. The convention works like a runoff or ranked choice voting...gotta get delegates off non-viable candidates and get a majority to win.

Which is looking like it might happen.

love