Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 7707 times)

Outatime

Re: Cloverfield
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »
Ok, when watching on the DVD, there's a little teeny tiny something that you can see.  Look for it.

Also, yeah the last post... that's crazy. 

Very J.J. Abrams.

Expect the different movie filmed by someone else from a different point of view of the same disaster.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
Expect the different movie filmed by someone else from a different point of view of the same disaster.

I'm hoping that's what it is.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
I thought Cloverfield was a neat experiment, but I'm a bit uneasy regarding a sequel. Then again, I usually am unless it involves James Bond or Batman.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »
Ok, when watching on the DVD, there's a little teeny tiny something that you can see.  Look for it.

Also, yeah the last post... that's crazy. 

Very J.J. Abrams.

I actually think the sequel will take place after the events of the first film, mainly because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu-uHaVtFY

That's the whisper at the end of the credits played backwards.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Outatime

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:24 AM »
Well, the Coney Island ending showed something was going on before the events.  And the backwards clip shows something might be going on after.

Blockbuster employees just got these shirts... they say Slusho! and have a slushy on the front, and the back says "you can't drink just 6" 
We didn't know what it was about, then figured out it has something to do with Cloverfield.  Something Japanese and something with how the monster came about.  I think it's sort of starting the promotion of the sequel or prequel.  It's really mind blowing actually... there's a website for Slusho, i forgot what it was but check it out if you're interested, it's weird.  It seems like just riddles and clues.

That'd be funny if it all came back to LOST in the end.  And then Tom Cruise shows up.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
Well, the Coney Island ending showed something was going on before the events.  And the backwards clip shows something might be going on after.

Blockbuster employees just got these shirts... they say Slusho! and have a slushy on the front, and the back says "you can't drink just 6" 
We didn't know what it was about, then figured out it has something to do with Cloverfield.  Something Japanese and something with how the monster came about.  I think it's sort of starting the promotion of the sequel or prequel.  It's really mind blowing actually... there's a website for Slusho, i forgot what it was but check it out if you're interested, it's weird.  It seems like just riddles and clues.

That'd be funny if it all came back to LOST in the end.  And then Tom Cruise shows up.

Huh?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

tsutter

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
When I saw this in theaters, I absolutely loathed it.  I think going in to it with all the viral marketing preconceptions killed it a bit for me.  However, I gave it a second viewing just yesterday, and found it exponentially more enjoyable - without the hype or pie-in-the-sky hopes for it.

I do, however, believe an off-forum friend of mine put it the best (don't mind the angry tone, he can be a bit eccentric ;)):

Quote from: Squeesfan
You know I usually try and respect peoples tastes and distastes of certain aspects of cinema but I'm really going to have to be bias on this one.

FOR CINECAST!S SAKE A FILM DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE CINECAST!ING CLOSURE TO BE GOOD

Jesus Christ, I saw this today in the cinema after deliberatly not going to see it for two weeks after opening so the hype died down and I wouldn't be caught up in all the post viral marketing frenzy. I loved it, as someone who is usually very critical of film I foind very little to fault with this as long as you go into it with the right frame of mind. This was an experiment, it was aiming for reality, people complain about lack of story, erm it's supposed to be a tape of what would have been a simple leaving party; last time I checked there is no storyline with such events.

If we found out to much it would be contradicting to how the film is being made. this is from the POV of mere pedestrians caught up in the middle, of course we won't CINECAST!ing know where the monster came from or why it's there, it's exploring the pandemonium that ensues after and the terror of trying to survive.

People complain that they were 'stupid' for going after Beth. Newsflash, in moments of life or death such as this, what is most important to you flushes to the surface and there is nothing else, there is no rational in situations like this (obviously not LOL A MONSTER, but say if you were caught up in a war, or live threatening situation) and Beth was all that mattered to Rob. Hud and the others followed because they couldn't leave him by himself, they were not about to subject their friend to a lonesome death.

I personally thought the dialogue was excellent, I often cringe over attempted 'realistic dialogue' yet this really hit the mark, the awkward laughing after Robs speech upon discovering the party, the lame attempt at talking to the girl from Hud, the attempt to rationalise the situation, it all felt authentic and well done.

I personally loved the ending, how everyone died and in the end all that mattered to Beth and Rob was the fact they admitted how they felt too each other and that was all that mattered was touching and in all honesty rather probable of their situation, chances of surviving something like that cannot be high.

Yes this reply may seem fanboyish who thinks the movie was 'cool', but I cannot help but argue against what people call flaws to the movie, it is supposed to be they type of movie where belief is suspended and you lock yourself into their world for 90 minutes, to prtened this really is a classified government tape. All the little things make it work, the lack of music, the government watermark, everything works in its favour. Perhaps it is because I saw this in a cinema that was virtually empty so didn't have to hear the ignorant laighs of cynics, I just felt this was a very well crafted film which pulled off what it tried to do with near perfection.

On a final notes yes you can hate this film, but if you do I'm surprised you even bothered seeing it as you knew exactly what you were in for, people always complain about things being boring and repetitive yet when something slightly off the wall comes out they complain about lack of 'conclusion' or insight. And no that wasn't directed at anyone hear in particular, more at the hordes of idiots that troll imdb, you don't have to be sucking JJ Abrahms dick to enjoy and love this film.

roner

• Groovy
    • Boxwatcher
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »
I have to admit I really didn't care for it.  If it wanted to be an ultra-realistic "monster/disaster" movie that would be fine.  If it wanted to be a cheesy B-movie that would have been fine.  But I think they mixed the two and got a bad movie.  Plus I never really got to like any of the characters and wanted them all to face their collective demise.  It was a neat idea and I give them big kudos for how it was marketed, but the movie sucked...

"No matter where you go, there you are."
                               -Buckaroo Banzai

www.boxwatcher.net
www.viewfromthecheapseatsonline.com
With Podcast!

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
I think this film is more than a gimick, I think this is a masterful film.  I loved it, got completely swept up in the drama and was engrossed the whole time.  When the monster starts wreaking havoc I was a little disappointed because I was so into the drama I wanted that stuff to continue, but once I was into the carnage I didn't want it to end.

Great Flick

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
I think it's a masterfully executed gimmick. I give it a lot of credit for never going to far nor outstaying its welcome. I can't remember the last major blockbuster that lasted less than 90 min. I did enjoy it less the second time around though.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love