love

Author Topic: Self Care  (Read 333 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Self Care
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:09:09 PM »
There are alternatives to the kennel, like AirBnB apps for pets.  In hindsight, having the dog wasn’t a practical decision. I use to travel about 30% of the time but I found a good dog sitter and she loved going on her staycations when I left town. But it was costly in the end
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »
I have a friend who did some of that. Guess I'm not sure how it would compare to kennel, either just sounds expensive. Though with dogs being more intrasocial than cats (and seemingly fewer people being allergic) it does expand my options in terms of having the dog stay with a friend/family.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 06:28:56 PM »
The differences...

cost is certainly more here to do homestay but it is a night and day difference for my dog.  She use to try to run away from the kennel van and do everything she could not to go. But when she figures out the dog sitter is coming, she gets super excited and runs to the gate waiting for her car to arrive. 

The dog sitter gives here complete freedom of their house and there usually will be 3 or 4 other dogs around.  Plus, they have a koi pond that Maisy likes to jump in and chase the fish around

It is not a bad business from what I can tell.

But yeah, if you live on your own and are going to travel a lot, a pet really is not a good decision. It is one of those things, I never regret having her but it was not practical and has been costly, especially when I brought her with me to Europe for 1 year.  I made sure she has been well taken care of when needed

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • As every colour illuminates, we are shining...
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 12:56:41 AM »
I saw this thread last week, but don't have a good grasp on self care, so sat with the question for a while. Self care is a concept that I'm trying to instill, so I like the question and I like reading everyone's ideas here. Here's what I came up with.

* I'm getting better at saying no.
* I try and sleep well and for enough time.
* I bought a little plastic kayak this summer and paddled around a reservoir nearby. I love the water (Before covid, I went swimming at a community pool).
* I cook. Chopping vegetables is therapeutic.
* I light a candle in the evening sometimes and listen to quiet guitar music while I work. It helps me decompress.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »
They wrote a song about you...

https://youtu.be/WR6y71x3tSY

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 10:58:09 PM »
They wrote a song about you...

:))

I've never seen Dana Carvey so young!

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 12:24:18 AM »
I saw this thread last week, but don't have a good grasp on self care, so sat with the question for a while. Self care is a concept that I'm trying to instill, so I like the question and I like reading everyone's ideas here. Here's what I came up with.

* I bought a little plastic kayak this summer and paddled around a reservoir nearby. I love the water (Before covid, I went swimming at a community pool).
* I light a candle in the evening sometimes and listen to quiet guitar music while I work. It helps me decompress.

That all sounds like self care to me. I think it can be open, but overall it has to be a practice you implement that you do regularly, is healthy, and helps you cope with the modern world.
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Exceptional  |  Favorable  |  Unfavorable  | Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 12:33:27 AM »

Maybe this will be helpful for your top one:

https://tim.blog/2018/02/03/the-tim-ferriss-show-transcripts-how-to-say-no/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 12:34:23 AM »
And in podcast form interview

https://tim.blog/2018/07/19/essentialism/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 11:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, jdc!

That all sounds like self care to me. I think it can be open, but overall it has to be a practice you implement that you do regularly, is healthy, and helps you cope with the modern world.

Good criteria. I think my list ticks all those boxes, so I must be on the right track. :)

love