love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223020 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2100 on: August 10, 2019, 12:57:33 AM »
Bernie: I wanna give Americans what every single other first world country has.
Americans: He's a communist!

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #2101 on: August 10, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
Bernie: I wanna give Americans what every single other first world country has.
Americans: He's a communist!

To be fair, those people also think every other country is communist, so they've got consistency on their side.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2102 on: September 11, 2019, 11:26:05 PM »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2103 on: September 12, 2019, 12:36:17 AM »
Conan's podcast is very good. Definitely nice listening to something light, positive, and very funny on my commute.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2104 on: September 23, 2019, 01:52:24 AM »
I've lost interest in Radiolab lately. They've morphed into sounding more like This American Life and just spoon feed you these personal interest stories of a common theme. I long for the days when every episode seemed to blow my mind with crazy science. The subject matter is so broad and unscientific now. The show has no identity for me anymore.  That's not to say it's bad, or that TAL is bad either, but it's definitely something I only care for once in a while, in small doses.

I started listening to Binge Mode (Harry Potter) because it was mentioned here recently and it is very good. Their depth of knowledge of the series is downright encyclopedic. I love their enthusiasm and their love of the series. It definitely gets me fired up about reading the series again.

Going to try Conan Needs A Friend.

A Damn Movie Podcast, after 300 episodes, is rebooting itself as The Deep Dive Film School. Same hosts, so it'll probably be the same show more or less. I've always enjoyed them. You can now watch them do the podcast on YouTube, which I find unnerving after hearing them so long in my earbuds... so I'm going to stick to the podcast version. 

I tried a sample of 3 different episodes of Enter the Void but it wasn't really for me I think.

They've been advertising Get Rich Nick on a bunch of the podcasts I listen to, so I gave it a try and found it pretty entertaining. I think the two hosts are quite funny and the concept of the show is a good one (every episode they try a get "rich" quick scheme)

Gilbert Gottfried's podcast has been super enjoyable lately for whatever reason.

Opening Arguments is one of the best podcasts going right now I think, covering law and politics. It feels like they've really got their ear to the ground in terms of what's coming down the pike. And they're really thorough about analysing things from the legal standpoint, and following up on things they got right and wrong. And they release episodes super frequently. Also, it's fun because every episode you get to try your hand at guessing the answer to a question from the bar exam.

The Anthropocene is a short, sweet and varied podcast that I enjoyed a few episodes of, so I'll throw a few episodes of that onto my playlist going forward. Thanks for the recommendation!

Tried The Throughline but the narrative seemed a bit forced in the episodes I listened to. I though they were taking too many liberties in their interpretation of events.

You Made It Weird has been a longtime favourite for me but these days I'm skipping many episodes and don't have much enthusiasm for the ones I do decide to download. It's mostly because the guest selection is people I have no interest in. Celebrities, musicians, athletes. Pete Holmes has, over the course of the podcast, come a long way in his career... and he's in a very different place now in terms of who he rubs elbows with. I think that has affected the type of people he now brings on the show. And those people are more famous and less fun. It's feels like a generic celebrity interview show now, and it pretty much never gets weird because everyone he speaks to is so used to having to present themselves public, and say the right things, and nobody lets loose. The show used to regularly get weird, and you didn't care who the guest was because it would always get somewhere interesting or Pete and the guest would have good chemistry, or a history together. The show had inside jokes, lots of goofing off, and the freedom to go as long as it needed to. Now it's just a bunch of people Pete has never met. The show is fading fast. Feels like Id10T (formerly Nerdist) now. Bleh.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:54:00 AM by smirnoff »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2105 on: September 23, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
I started listening to Binge Mode (Harry Potter) because it was mentioned here recently and it is very good. Their depth of knowledge of the series is downright encyclopedic. I love their enthusiasm and their love of the series. It definitely gets me fired up about reading the series again.

That's great. I think I probably mentioned it. It was one of my favorite things - movies, TV, music, books, etc - of the year. They're so much fun. Excited for their upcoming Star Wars binge.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2106 on: September 24, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »

I recently discovered The Rewatchables, which is a great, fun time exploring various aspects of rewatchable movies. And that led me to some other Ringer podcasts, including Binge Mode. I haven't started listening yet, but have them queued up.

smirnoff, I definitely think you would find some episodes of The Rewatchables to be very enjoyable with the ways they break the movies down. I pick and choose which I listen to, mostly based on whether I've seen the film before, and whether I agree it's a rewatchable.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:43:43 AM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2107 on: September 24, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Nice, I'll give it a try with my next batch of downloads. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2108 on: October 15, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
Binge Mode sounds cool.  I’ll check it out.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2109 on: October 16, 2019, 01:46:25 PM »
Binge Mode sounds cool.  I’ll check it out.

They are starting Star Wars later this week. Very exciting!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love