love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 125506 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2170 on: October 06, 2020, 01:54:34 AM »
After a 3 year break, The Tobolowsky Files is back for at least a 12 episode season.

Long time Dave Chen fan here. Does it ever come up on the show how he and Tobolowsky met? I only ever listened to the first episode.

I believe it does but I only have vague memories so I could be completely wrong. But I think it started with David trying to order Steven Tobolowsky’s Birthday Party which was a movie that has Steven telling a few stories similar to what is now The Tobolowsky Files.  But as a movie, it is done in his backyard with a group of friends during a BBQ.  I believe it could only be ordered directly and when David called the number to order he got the director of the film and things went from there.

At least that is what I seem to remember or I may have mixed that up with some other story I once heard.   
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2171 on: October 06, 2020, 02:14:41 AM »
I sort of have it correct... Chen was a fan of the movie and wanted to do it as a podcast...

https://robertbrinkmann.com/stephen-tobolowskys-birthday-party/

I just remember David Chen saying he was calling a number for the DVD and the person answered something like “Robert speaking” and Chen answering, “Robert Brickmann?, director of .....”

The Podcast doesn’t disappoint.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman