love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223138 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2180 on: March 23, 2021, 01:19:19 AM »
I discovered I Spy recently. I love it. Each episode is about one spy detailing one operation from the past. It's short and pithy and fascinating.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2181 on: April 01, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
Jacobin has a mass of podcasts that go on that one feed. I definitely can't get to them all, but I do enjoy what I've heard. Today, a big pod on the downfall of Andrew Cuomo, and the future of the New York state legislation and government.

Thanks!

I've narrowed down my listening habits to literally just Chapo Trap House/Filmspotting/Threedom. I need some new recommendations.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2182 on: April 01, 2021, 01:57:16 PM »
I believe the term for CTH and their like is “dirtbag left.” Pairing left ideology (for better or worse) with a hostile messaging toward those outside the clique. Excellent business strategy, dubious political strategy.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2183 on: April 01, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
I've narrowed down my listening habits to literally just Chapo Trap House/Filmspotting/Threedom. I need some new recommendations.

Blank Check and The Rewatchables are my current favorites. Also A Feat of Lunatic Daring, which nicely goes along with Disney+ airing The Muppet Show.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2184 on: April 01, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
I believe the term for CTH and their like is “dirtbag left.” Pairing left ideology (for better or worse) with a hostile messaging toward those outside the clique. Excellent business strategy, dubious political strategy.

Can’t get down with half of that, but can definitely endorse the other half.

Will

« Reply #2185 on: April 01, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »

Liberals are pretty hostile too (K-Hive for instance) but since the Left are a minority in their own party, the media focuses on them more. The hostility only rises because there's a general ineffectiveness of liberals to grasp power and then actually do something with it (Kamala not overriding Parliamentarian policy of raising the Minimum Wage despite popularity in its base, the fact that children are still in cages despite popularity of that policy in its base, the refusal to forgive student loans despite... you get the picture). The best example of this is Obama's "When they go low, we go high". There's an addiction to "winning" or appearing more moralistic with the vast majority of Democrats when it's been revealed time and time again that Republicans don't care to be proven hypocritical by them and that their hypocrisies don't actually sway voters as much as we think they do (2016 election). It's like watching a man ask a dog not to bite them instead of putting a muzzle on it. That frustration of the Far Left translates to open hostility because the Liberals don't seem to respond well to us asking nicely to care about what they say they care about (especially not when their form of browbeating is literally #VoteBlueNoMatterWho or you're a fascist). Feel free to prove me wrong on that though!

But I am under no delusion that Chapo is anything other than edutainment. It helps relieve pressure and helps me feel less alone.

ETA: Clarity
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:24:03 PM by Will »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2186 on: April 01, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »
I had never heard of CTH before, so I will definitely check out the podcast, maybe the book, too. My only pause with Jacobin, whose stream carries a lot of different programs, is that it's a pain to sift through. The positive is, they cover so many topics that I'm bound to be interested in a show at least every other day. It does not sound like it would qualify as dirtbag left, a new term to me (and one I'd embrace), but it's smart and thought-provoking.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Will

« Reply #2187 on: April 01, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
It definitely isn't Dirtbag Left but there's osmosis on all of these Leftist podcasts - be it Chapo Trap House, The Dollop, Behind the Bastards, Worst Year Ever, Citations Needed, etc. It's a growing market (you could say "ironically so" but... that's just the "yet you live in a capitalist society" Ben Shapiro argument deep down). All of which are varying levels of Left - Worst Year Ever is a lot less more hostile than Chapo but also a lot more centrist. Jacobin is similar to Citations Needed (more focused in an academic approach) which I'd recommend... if they didn't take so many breaks as of late. Still though the backlog is great.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2188 on: April 01, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
There is a significant view on the left (at least on Twitter) that liberals are evil. I don't think there is an equivalent view of leftists by liberals. Broadly speaking my critique of the left is that they are non-rigorous...both their politics and policies are largely conjecture with no real support (often ignoring real life evidence that their policies, like rent control, don't work). End of the day, a lot of it comes down to mistake theory vs. conflict theory.

As to your examples...the Dems didn't have 50 votes for a $15 minimum wage, so Kamala Harris is irrelevant. Manchin won't support a $15 MW because a $15 MW is bad policy for West Virginia (and a lot of the country tbh). And the Dems have no control over Manchin, no leverage. And you can't really motivate him with threat of a primary. As far as I can tell the left picked $15 minimum wage for purely marketing reasons, I've yet to see anything that shows why $15 is THE economically preferable national rate...that it maximizes good things or minimizes bad things. The CBO suggests that it will on net lift hundreds of thousands out of poverty...but it will consign more than a million to unemployment and even deeper poverty. Using the minimum wage as the main tool to improve standard of living is just really bad economics. Better a lower federal national wage ($10-12) with higher state/city MWs where median wages are higher, and then use other policies like EITC or Child Tax Credit to raise the living standard of people at the bottom. A $12 national minimum wage would get it to the historic high point controlling for inflation. When taking into account all the state and local increase that have been passed, the national average minimum wage is already at the highest it has been.

And even though Biden isn't using executive orders to wipe out all student loan debt (which would be bad policy), he has already used it to target student loan debt of people who attended scam for-profit colleges and for those with disabilities that have put them in default.

As to "kids in cages," you can't just open the doors and let the children wander the world. Biden is putting a lot of energy into building up the capacity for more humane housing conditions and capacity for placing the kids with family to facilitate the process, but those things don't get put in place overnight. The government is like a shipping barge, you can't turn it around on a dime, and sometimes it gets stuck in a bank and screws up international trade for a couple weeks.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2189 on: April 01, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »
Bondo, "politics and policies are largely conjecture with no real support". Really, so more than 50% of want the left advocate is unsupported, going to have to say you will have to provide some evidence of such a statement (not just 1 example, which you have not even shown it has no real support). Do by real support you mean I do not agree with their support? I could use the Left's view of health care as an example of a supported view. In Australia we have Medicare which provides partial to full payment for a huge array of medical expense (largely provided by private practices), this is paid for with a 2% levy on your taxable income. It's admin overhead 20 years ago (sorry my data is old, but I do not believe it has moved much) was 3%. We also have private medical insurance (so the better off can jump the queue or get uncovered procedures), 20 years ago it's admin overhead was 8%. I believe in the USA the private medical insurance has a 20% admin overhead. So in terms of efficiency the government run universal medical insurance provides the most bang for buck. In terms of mortality outcomes Australia has seen a 62% decease in mortality from 1990 to 2015 while the USA has seen a 49% drop and USA started at a higher rate. There is an argument from the left with some real support.

I would also say that Twitter is not necessarily representative of any group, except the most extreme.

love